OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem I have seems to be a slow decline of my Magnifica anemone.

Here is when I put it in the tank March 20

8BAFF574-C85C-45CE-B69F-F3BBC95A522B.jpeg

0A4A5164-F878-47C9-BE02-4B1487D0C530.jpeg

1F61E701-DFC2-42E6-AC31-8F8A6D14A20C.jpeg

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the new fish Mike ! ! !

Thanks Keith! He is working real hard at becoming my favorite! May have to get him a girl friend some day[emoji6]

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mta_morrow can you get a pic of the mouth on the mag? Or let us know what it looks like? Also, has the nem lost a lot of color, or is it just the light from one pic to another? Last but not least, has it been fed before and if so what was it fed?

Just trying to get some more info to see if I have run across what you are seeing out of the mag. I have had mags do exactly what you see, but need some more detail to try and narrow it down in my notebook of the nems I have nursed back over the years.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mta_morrow can you get a pic of the mouth on the mag? Or let us know what it looks like? Also, has the nem lost a lot of color, or is it just the light from one pic to another? Last but not least, has it been fed before and if so what was it fed?

Just trying to get some more info to see if I have run across what you are seeing out of the mag. I have had mags do exactly what you see, but need some more detail to try and narrow it down in my notebook of the nems I have nursed back over the years.

Thanks so much for trying to help!

The mouth is still puckered up and tightly closed, pretty much no change since I got it. I will try to find a pic or get one tomorrow when I get home.

It has lost color. More white now for sure.

I have fed it small pieces of fresh clam and mysis maybe once every 2 weeks the first couple months. It’s not taking food now.

Also, tentacles were like fly paper and now not very sticky at all.

Any help or advice to help save it is appreciated.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for trying to help!

The mouth is still puckered up and tightly closed, pretty much no change since I got it. I will try to find a pic or get one tomorrow when I get home.

It has lost color. More white now for sure.

I have fed it small pieces of fresh clam and mysis maybe once every 2 weeks the first couple months. It’s not taking food now.

Also, tentacles were like fly paper and now not very sticky at all.

Any help or advice to help save it is appreciated.
It could be lighting or it could be an infection or something else. Normally with lighting though, they will move. Get some pics with it under all whites if you can, and we can go from there. A tight mouth is good though, but the loss of color is never good. Although, loss of color can be bounced back from if we can figure out what it is, or at least a good course of action to try and cover all the bases.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a gorgeous fish! :)
Could the cleaner shrimp be irritating it, it is in a few pics?

Thanks on the fish! I have quite the variety and enjoy it very much[emoji2]

The shrimp tended to stay at the outer edges on the nem when it was healthy.

When I fed the nem, they would definitely try to get to the food regardless. So I always fed the shrimp and everything else before I fed the Magnifica. I would also shoo them away until the mag ate. But I know those bad shrimp would sneak around and pick thru the nem as well.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be lighting or it could be an infection or something else. Normally with lighting though, they will move. Get some pics with it under all whites if you can, and we can go from there. A tight mouth is good though, but the loss of color is never good. Although, loss of color can be bounced back from if we can figure out what it is, or at least a good course of action to try and cover all the bases.

Thanks! I will get a good pic tomorrow that’s good and clear.

This nem hasn’t moved an inch since I placed it there.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks on the fish! I have quite the variety and enjoy it very much[emoji2]

The shrimp tended to stay at the outer edges on the nem when it was healthy.

When I fed the nem, they would definitely try to get to the food regardless. So I always fed the shrimp and everything else before I fed the Magnifica. I would also shoo them away until the mag ate. But I know those bad shrimp would sneak around and pick thru the nem as well.
My cleaners just about live in one of my mags, and have stolen food before, but never from the mouth area. It is possible that the mouth got injured, but normally an injured mouth heals quick if not infected and if infected it is not nice and tight.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve

I got home at 2 am. Only 1% moonlight on the tank.

I could see about 1/2” of column extension vs no extension during the day.

Not sure if that is useful or not.

Woke up and left early so I won’t get good pics til this evening.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test results today are.........

NO3. 16ppm
PO4. .05ppm
Alk. 7.7

All is well. Just have to bump up
Alk .2-.3
Params don’t look bad. NO3 at 16 could be considered high, but one of my mags is in 15 and PO4 of .1 and doing great. The others are in tanks with about 2-5 NO3 and .03 PO4.

With that said, look forward to top down shot and hopefully that will show something. I would hate to say go ahead and cipro it, as I get a lot of criticism cause all mine get it as soon as I get them, but looking back over everything I cannot see anything out of the ordinary. But that doesn’t mean I missed something.

One thing could be light, but not enough light. If it was too much, it should have moved. But not enough, and looking at your tank, it should have enough.

I will read back over everything again, and maybe something will stick out. Really want to get that nem back healthy. It is a pretty one.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Params don’t look bad. NO3 at 16 could be considered high, but one of my mags is in 15 and PO4 of .1 and doing great. The others are in tanks with about 2-5 NO3 and .03 PO4.

With that said, look forward to top down shot and hopefully that will show something. I would hate to say go ahead and cipro it, as I get a lot of criticism cause all mine get it as soon as I get them, but looking back over everything I cannot see anything out of the ordinary. But that doesn’t mean I missed something.

One thing could be light, but not enough light. If it was too much, it should have moved. But not enough, and looking at your tank, it should have enough.

I will read back over everything again, and maybe something will stick out. Really want to get that nem back healthy. It is a pretty one.

I will be home shortly to get a good top down w no flow, under whites.

What would you recommend as a minimum par level and spectrum choice?

I can get a par and spectrum reading with my Seneye.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back