Military veteran reefers

sticknstring90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any threads, FB groups, chats, or groups that are specifically for military reed enthusiasts to support the hobby? Looking to connect with military active and veterans that want to share experiences or the therapeutic results of owning a reef tank.
- Jim

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef tanks are great stress relievers, even though they can create a new type of stress... LOL.
I am a military veteran, but my stress, comes from my job. Reef keeping is another world, literally. It is great place to escape. I think it is because "you" have the responsibility "you" have the control. "you" are creating a world that doesn’t exist. And that is nice, because it isn’t others, or situations that are creating a world for you. Sometimes you just need a moment in a world you created, and that hopefully everyone is happy.

OP
OP
S

sticknstring90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef tanks are great stress relievers, even though they can create a new type of stress... LOL.
I am a military veteran, but my stress, comes from my job. Reef keeping is another world, literally. It is great place to escape. I think it is because "you" have the responsibility "you" have the control. "you" are creating a world that doesn’t exist. And that is nice, because it isn’t others, or situations that are creating a world for you. Sometimes you just need a moment in a world you created, and that hopefully everyone is happy.
I got into the hobby as a welcome stress reliever from the daily grind. Anything that teaches responsibility while being unique to the individual is a great way to invest personal time and melt the day! Thanks for the response!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress relief sounds very plausible,
Wallet “Relief” far more likley…
….I do think the therapeutic effects of aquariums is actually documented…somewhere

vandy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Fish of Hex Aquatic does a good amount of donations and giveaways for veterans. Check him out he has some good content

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While still doing the contracting gig for a few more years, 21 years+ AF vet here. Still connected to many of my old flying buds, and many of them still ask about my reef. Too much experience with TDYs and PCSs...not to mention last minute deployments. Checklist refinement with lots of imbedded photos, emergency numbers...networking with fellow reefkeepers in the area who can help out on a moment's notice. This all with lots of open doors and welcoming new friends across the States, Middle East, North Africa, Southwest Asia, and the Mediterranean.
Cheers,
Ray :cool:

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just thinking about how miserable it would be to try and maintain a nice tank on any type of active duty.

But for veterans, I assume it does wonders. I’ve been shot at but only by migrants and homemade 22’s. :grinning-squinting-face: For those that have seen real battle, a small tank to get them interested would be an awesome gift I would think. Nothing keeps the mind occupied like something new to take care of 24/7!! Haha

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was just thinking about how miserable it would be to try and maintain a nice tank on any type of active duty.
You were lucky to get 2 years before tearing it down and giving all your livestock away.

My last assignment was at a school house, which was a 4 year special duty, I was able to go over the 2 year average that time.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any threads, FB groups, chats, or groups that are specifically for military reed enthusiasts to support the hobby? Looking to connect with military active and veterans that want to share experiences or the therapeutic results of owning a reef tank.
- Jim
Im a vet Af

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree I think maybe a new group or badge for veterans would be a great addition to R2R. It would help us vets connect each other.
No! No more badges!! Haha... like that guy that valued ribbons, or plaques as if it were to somehow elevate their status. What were those guys called? Woodpeckers? Hunting for wood? Chopping wood?

Seriously! I can't remember. Someone help me.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back