Milli growth unde LED

RDHDDRAGON

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to show my Milli growth and see what feedback anyone has. Trying to track how my new leds do. One of my first sps besides monti so i dont know how fast they normally grow.
I don't think its too bad for 37 days.
8-14-11
milli.jpg

9-20-11
103_0881.jpg

Thanks!
Deborah

OP
OP
RDHDDRAGON

RDHDDRAGON

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know, lol. I bought it off a fellow reefer. It looks more green in person. I think the blue LED might be giving the pic more of a blue hue.

It is very close to the top and in the path of my return pipe flow, so very strong flow. I have really high calcium all the time.

Hmm, I think i need to try more sps! THanks for your help!

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't go crazy i got cocky when my sps took of the first time looked amazing growing ......
Needless to say I'm on my 2nd try ! When u only have a few sps u parameters dont swing its when u have alot and have to add cal and alk they use on daily basis thats when it gets tricky 1 little mistake like for me my ato added too much kalk water cause I forgot to unplug when doing wc!! Make sure that all ur parameters r stable and be very careful if using kalk in an ato. That being said great growth good luck

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The don't go crazy was just ment to say don't spend $500 on a few sps I'd buy a bunch local see how ur tank does it really hurts losing a frag that costs $100

exoticcoralfrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deb,
the growth is pretty darn good. especially the new sprouts. I think we should compile some test results. I wish we could set up a controlled test environment, however we could possibly just try and create as similar parameter environment as possible and compare results. we should each start with the same size frag of the same species cut off the same parent. you can hold it under LED, take a par reading, and document flow. I could hold under T5 and do the same. I have a spreadsheet that I use when I test my params, that way I can always look back at the past to track results or difficulties. it has an area for all the test results, amount dosed if any, dates, notes, syatem A and B. I could forward it to you. We just need someone with Metal so we would have all 3 comparisons. we could even do this with multiple coral types. we could start a thread, and it would be more scientific result oriented, and we could post data.
what do u think :)

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be an awesome thread !!!!

the growth is pretty darn good. especially the new sprouts. I think we should compile some test results. I wish we could set up a controlled test environment, however we could possibly just try and create as similar parameter environment as possible and compare results. we should each start with the same size frag of the same species cut off the same parent. you can hold it under LED, take a par reading, and document flow. I could hold under T5 and do the same. I have a spreadsheet that I use when I test my params, that way I can always look back at the past to track results or difficulties. it has an area for all the test results, amount dosed if any, dates, notes, syatem A and B. I could forward it to you. We just need someone with Metal so we would have all 3 comparisons. we could even do this with multiple coral types. we could start a thread, and it would be more scientific result oriented, and we could post data.
what do u think :)[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
RDHDDRAGON

RDHDDRAGON

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay Bill, I will take you up on that offer. :bigsmile: I just made me a tracker last week to keep track of my parameters. Email me yours though, sounds more thorough than mine.

Just tell me what coral and where lol.

OP
OP
RDHDDRAGON

RDHDDRAGON

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update on the milli. It has been another 34 days. I did accidentally break off two branches, but you can still see the growth on the remaining ones. Still growing very good! I do have two itty bitty frags of the broke pieces now lol.

Let me know what you think!
103_0995.jpg

OP
OP
RDHDDRAGON

RDHDDRAGON

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been slacking on posting on here too, :( Sorry.

-Here is the last pic i took as of 03-27-12.

103_1136.jpg

THe colors look much better now. Thanks to Bill's suggestion of actually checking my Alk, lol. I will try to get a more current pic soon. THis pic is too bright, my phone does not like the leds!

OP
OP
RDHDDRAGON

RDHDDRAGON

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the "chinese" lights from cidly electronics.

They each have 56 blue and 56 white 1watt chips. 3 Fans, two switches. I have them hanging about 10" off the water. I put two of them on my 4ft tank and four of them on my 7ft tank.

About a month ago i also installed a strip UV-B leds.

OP
OP
RDHDDRAGON

RDHDDRAGON

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here is a different angle. You can also see the growth on the end of the staghorn infront of the milli. :)

03/27/12

IMG_20120327_172343-1.jpg

Today:
milli04232012.png

OP
OP
RDHDDRAGON

RDHDDRAGON

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here he is 9 1/2 months later. His growth has slowed, and he is darker. I moved him further down in the tank though. Still not bad growth though! And Lenny the blenny photo bombed lol.
illlllli_zps0f3a2650.jpg

I need to raise my mag somemore, but here is what it tested today:
Salinity: 1.027
Calcium 420
mag 1100
kh 8
ph 8
Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and phosphates all zero.

We dose brs kalk, alk and mag. We also dose 'fuel' by aquavitro.

Here is the staghorn that was sitting infront of it in my last pic. It has grown like nuts!
staghorn_zpscd633ae0.jpg

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back