Mind the gap; is my tank “level?”

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re setting up a new RSR XXL 750 which is almost a 6’ tank. I got the tank painstakingly leveled, threw in the sump and plumbing, and was getting ready to fill when I decided to do a paper test. It initially showed I could slip a full piece of paper in at multiple points on the left and front right. However, when I removed the center brace (I obviously had it too tight) most of the issues went away. What I’m left with is below. I can barely fit a sheet of paper to the extent visible in the pictures (back left corner, and a bit on the left side). All other points along the tank have no gap.
AAC449AA-07E2-4BCA-8F1D-11B39528D15D.jpeg
A56E1FFB-FA51-410B-81D8-103AC815A1BA.jpeg

Should I pull the sump and see if I can take up the space without throwing the tank leveling off, or is this amount of gap reasonable prior to filling? The stand does have a foam pad but it’s not a true “leveling” pad from what I can tell.

So few comprehensive sources on leveling out there despite everyone agreeing this is critically important (especially with long rimless tanks)! So any knowledge drops are appreciated.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the gap is the thickness of a piece of paper then I wouldn’t give it another worry. I wouldn’t worry unless the gap is more like 1/16” or more.
I agree if it's just the Paper the weight will actually "level" it by requiring more even "distribution" throughout the whole system with the added weight. if that make sense.

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree if it's just the Paper the weight will actually "level" it by requiring more even "distribution" throughout the whole system with the added weight. if that make sense.
Yeah that’s my thought too. Surely the pad can compress enough in other areas or the stand could settle or the glass could flex just slightly but not enough to be a problem? I just want to be sure because it’s now or never; it’s taken 9 months to get this far and I’m ready for some cycling.

When I go up to 3 sheets of paper I can only fit it in about 1-2” in the back corner but no more or anywhere else on the tank.

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the advice here I’m proceeding with leak test/final leveling. Now that the tank has been in place for a bit it’s slightly off front to back. Is this too much? I did notice the water in the empty tank had a small preference for the back, but the water line appears even with a tape measure.
E15DBC6C-FBBD-4E22-BFF3-17E8025C1E2F.jpeg
4510E785-7484-4720-809C-D5FA02CB76BB.jpeg

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope shim the back imo what’s 5 minutes now could be hours later or disaster why not get it perfect
Ugh. Yeah that’s what I thought. I’ve already spent hours leveling this thing. Guess I know what my plans are for tomorrow. Shims would be ok, but this thing has like 1000 leveling feet. Adjust 1 and others get thrown off. Back to the drawing board I suppose.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
3/4 full now and still looking good! I can still fit a sheet of paper 1” on the back left corner but I don’t feel like I’m going to do any better than this.
image.jpg
You won't. From my interactions with Red Sea recently, I'm confident in saying that they would tell you to go ahead and fill.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back