Mindstream

kzp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an agenda - you joined recently. All of your posts mention Mindstram - maybe you should try to help the rest of the hobbyists that need help with various issues - I t appears that your just prvokkng negativity (whether justified or not) - HERE. just get over it.
I fail to see how anything I asked or suggested of the Beta tester is unreasonable or unwarranted. Given the circumstances in which myself and others are, as of today, out $1000,00 and can't get the company to even comment on giving me (or others) a refund or the unit after 5 months of holding our money, it is PERFECTLY reasonable to wonder why the company is behaving in this manner and whether they are still even in business. This is simple common sense. I also find it odd that you continue to defend this company against such obvious maltreatment by the company of its paying customers. It begs to question....what is your true agenda? As the other poster noted, it is weird and disconcerting to 'see the abused defending his abuser'. If you think that asking these legitimate questions of a seller who took our $1000.00 with no product to show for it, and then went incognito for weeks---now going on an entire month, is an example of "prvokkng negativity", then you are simply delusional or brain-washed--or both. There is simply no other way to term it. As for "helping" other hobbyists, me asking the beta tester who lives 2 miles from SAI to ask someone at SAI some questions in order to get some answers for us (you included) would do me and everyone else on this forum a BIG FAVOR!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I fail to see how anything I asked or suggested of the Beta tester is unreasonable or unwarranted. Given the circumstances in which myself and others are, as of today, out $1000,00 and can't get the company to even comment on giving me (or others) a refund or the unit after 5 months of holding our money, it is PERFECTLY reasonable to wonder why the company is behaving in this manner and whether they are still even in business. This is simple common sense. I also find it odd that you continue to defend this company against such obvious maltreatment by the company of its paying customers. It begs to question....what is your true agenda? As the other poster noted, it is weird and disconcerting to 'see the abused defending his abuser'. If you think that asking these legitimate questions of a seller who took our $1000.00 with no product to show for it, and then went incognito for weeks---now going on an entire month, is an example of "prvokkng negativity", then you are simply delusional or brain-washed--or both. There is simply no other way to term it. As for "helping" other hobbyists, me asking the beta tester who lives 2 miles from SAI to ask someone at SAI some questions in order to get some answers for us (you included) would do me and everyone else on this forum a BIG FAVOR!
me thinks thou doth protest too much.....

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I own a apex but I will not buy a trident.
I wanted to buy a mindstream. But after
All my research I think I will purchase the reefbot. The reefbot has no subscriptions or monthly plan. The reefbot lets me decided what I want to test and how often. The reefbot also lets me test multiple tanks.

signal_4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a beta tester and live a couple miles down the road from the SAI offices. I took analytical chemistry in college with one of the co-founders (Giuseppe). Several of the employees have been over to my fish room. I gave them a bunch of coral and ~80 pounds of live rock to help set up reef tanks.

I know that all of the employees I've met are decent, well-meaning people. I also know that there isn't a lot of experience in running a company, and this definitely shows in all the delays and the lack of communication.

Companies today tend to engage their customers on social media. SAI doesn't. They are very "old school" like this - I'd often go weeks without hearing anything, and then they'd stop by with a new monitor or a new test or something.

This is a new class of product, there are absolutely going to be unforeseen issues. (If you're considering buying this, I would wait for the second generation, as with all other products.)

I will mention that I never once saw it work. I talked with the only other beta testers I have met IRL and he never saw it work either. Based on this, and their complete lack of communication, I sold my unit as soon as I got it. But to be fair to them, I never actually tried a production unit.

If you haven't gotten your unit, you need to email their support about it or call their office. They aren't reading this thread, and they don't care about their [lack of] image on social media.

In order to succeed, they need:
1) The chemistry needs to be valid. Specifically, the equations used to calculate parameters must work in all tanks. I have never seen exactly what equations are used myself, but the readings they provided would drift horribly over the course of a day/week in my reef. They said I was the only one with this problem, and I wonder if they decided to launch without addressing this.
2) The supply line needs to work. I know they switched manufacturers for both the main unit and disks a couple times over the course of the beta. There could easily be supply/manufacturing problems here.
3) The business has to succeed - there is definitely a right way and a wrong way to run a business, and I have seen even the best ideas crash and burn if executed poorly.

I am not convinced that this is the best idea in the world (give me just alk + phosphate + nitrate for $60 a month with no up front charge, and that's a good deal).

I am convinced that the execution could be a lot better here though. I have no idea if the VC money will run out before they are self-sufficient, but if/when people don't buy the product and the company goes under, your $1000 Mindstream will no longer work. That alone should be reason enough to steer clear.

OMG. You opened this door ! It’s your ethical duty to go over there and see what’s going on with the and even if they are still there and report back !

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say if this is a good thing or a bad thing but I noticed on LinkedIn that the founder, James Clark, left the company in November.

1575508230197.png

kzp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say if this is a good thing or a bad thing but I noticed on LinkedIn that the founder, James Clark, left the company in November.

1575508230197.png
This could be a VERY bad thing. The Chief Innovation Officer (? founder) just left the company after 8 yrs of developing the product. Obviously, if he believed in his own product and/or if, as a believer in the MS, SAI still existed and had the money to continue on, he wouldn't be calling himself an "Independent Consultant" and wouldn't have listed his affiliation with MS as being over as of 11/19--the very time that MS went silent. If this isn't "game over" for MS, I'd be very surprised. Of course, it is also possible that MS is in the middle of a sale of its operations.

Mr4000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will mention that I never once saw it work. I talked with the only other beta testers I have met IRL and he never saw it work either. Based on this, and their complete lack of communication, I sold my unit as soon as I got it. But to be fair to them, I never actually tried a production unit
Ok this is a little disturbing, a beta tester that never had his MS work or never saw one work, that is weird and then sells his once he's got it, even weirder.

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be a VERY bad thing. The Chief Innovation Officer (? founder) just left the company after 8 yrs of developing the product. Obviously, if he believed in his own product and/or if, as a believer in the MS, SAI still existed and had the money to continue on, he wouldn't be calling himself an "Independent Consultant" and wouldn't have listed his affiliation with MS as being over as of 11/19--the very time that MS went silent. If this isn't "game over" for MS, I'd be very surprised. Of course, it is also possible that MS is in the middle of a sale of its operations.
Not saying it's the case here, but sometimes a headstrong founder can be the problem and a company can only move forward once he/she is gone. So it's not necessarily a bad thing.

kzp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying it's the case here, but sometimes a headstrong founder can be the problem and a company can only move forward once he/she is gone. So it's not necessarily a bad thing.
you could be right

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally a founder who leaves in a good situation explains it to customers and wishes everyone well. Not sneak off and update their resume.

kzp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at the very least, it indicates that there is significant disarray in the company--not that we didn't know that already! lol

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
at the very least, it indicates that there is significant disarray in the company--not that we didn't know that already! lol
everyone appreciates your continued concern. post after post after post after post.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everyone appreciates your continued concern. post after post after post after post.

Is kzp really saying anything the majority, including you, aren't already thinking? Why so much dislike to the fact hes saying it how it is? Isn't there an "ignore" button that you have told others to use before, why not give that a go this time around? Seems like you take it to heart everytime someone states the truth about how poorly they have handled their product.

I actually find your replies to be of a non "family friendly" nature and often turns the discussion sour, maybe its how i read it, but thats the vibe i get from a lot of your posts......
Yet kzp when he replies to be quite informative weather repetitive or not, its interesting. I like reading, its a forum, meant for reading.

Ive read this and most other threads on the subject top to bottom, i was routing for the success of this in the hopes it comes across the pond.

This calling people out for a hidden agenda every time they voice there concerns is getting quite boring. Just because people use this forum to vent their worries that are rightly warranted it means they suddenly have an agenda to destroy said company? Mindstream are a sponsor here, it makes perfect sense to vent here.

Would it be seen as a hidden agenda if the owner of this forum decided to step in like he has on many other sole reefers clearly ripping people off, this situation is heading the same route is it not......Nobody is trying to destroy this company, they are single handedly doing it for themselves and i see absolutely nothing wrong with people discussing this, i dont instantly jump to the conclusion that because someone hasn't purchased an item, or posts more than once about said bad service, that they suddenly have nothing else to do in the world except destroy the company.

PS, im the other side of the pond and couldn't purchase one even if i could, and actually would have a few months back - Does that mean i should not be allowed to post on this matter?

kzp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is kzp really saying anything the majority, including you, aren't already thinking? Why so much dislike to the fact hes saying it how it is? Isn't there an "ignore" button that you have told others to use before, why not give that a go this time around? Seems like you take it to heart everytime someone states the truth about how poorly they have handled their product.

I actually find your replies to be of a non "family friendly" nature and often turns the discussion sour, maybe its how i read it, but thats the vibe i get from a lot of your posts......
Yet kzp when he replies to be quite informative weather repetitive or not, its interesting. I like reading, its a forum, meant for reading.

Ive read this and most other threads on the subject top to bottom, i was routing for the success of this in the hopes it comes across the pond.

This calling people out for a hidden agenda every time they voice there concerns is getting quite boring. Just because people use this forum to vent their worries that are rightly warranted it means they suddenly have an agenda to destroy said company? Mindstream are a sponsor here, it makes perfect sense to vent here.

Would it be seen as a hidden agenda if the owner of this forum decided to step in like he has on many other sole reefers clearly ripping people off, this situation is heading the same route is it not......Nobody is trying to destroy this company, they are single handedly doing it for themselves and i see absolutely nothing wrong with people discussing this, i dont instantly jump to the conclusion that because someone hasn't purchased an item, or posts more than once about said bad service, that they suddenly have nothing else to do in the world except destroy the company.

PS, im the other side of the pond and couldn't purchase one even if i could, and actually would have a few months back - Does that mean i should not be allowed to post on this matter?
Thank you so much for your support and kind words! You basically said what I was thinking, and probably should have stated earlier.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

F
Yes a very bad sign. I posted same thing on another thread on the 25th. If he is gone.......so is the company. IMO the only hope is that he sells the tech to another, financially healthy company.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I dont think he has a hidden agenda. I'm not sure why you would say that. I was only implying 'nothing has changed' - it wasnt meant as a criticism. I guess I should say (again) - I personally am concerned as well.

addendum - if the owner of this site was able to get more information behind the scenes - I'd be all for it. iff that meant he decided to remove SAI as a sponsor I guess that would be his decision. Your post implies that I am some kind of cheerleader for SAI - I am not (especially recently). Just because I have an opinion that might differ from yours doesnt mean my post isnt 'family friendly'. I could make the case that your post criticizing me was 'not friendly' as well. But - I case @kzp was offended or something - I apologize

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back