Invert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read somewhere of " Mini " BTA.
But, I have never seen one until now.

I pick this one up from a Local Reefer.
There were several in his tank and none of them were over 4".
There were not " Cut ", they split on there own.

Sorry for the Picture,
It is in a Tupperware Container
100_3185.jpg

Is there such a thing as a Mini BTA ?
or
Is it cause by water quality ?

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no such thing as a Mini BTA,there are 2 strains of them that we know of,However,many of us belive that this is how we tell the sex of the animal.

The larger BTA's which dont move as much are said to be the females.They will start out as male,and then remove themselves from the colony of anemones and let the flow carry them away and then they will start putting out chemicals and produce eggs to make the males who might be near by,spawn.

So,more than not,you have a male BTA,very common actully,Im wanting to try producing BTA's in captivity by not fission but by sexual re production.

I dont know,but we will see as time goes on.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Invert

Invert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the Information.
It is better Info than I could find.

There is no such thing as a Mini BTA,there are 2 strains of them that we know of,However,many of us belive that this is how we tell the sex of the animal.

The larger BTA's which dont move as much are said to be the females.They will start out as male,and then remove themselves from the colony of anemones and let the flow carry them away and then they will start putting out chemicals and produce eggs to make the males who might be near by,spawn.

So,more than not,you have a male BTA,very common actully,Im wanting to try producing BTA's in captivity by not fission but by sexual re production.

I dont know,but we will see as time goes on.

Good luck!

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i seen over on another site where you got flamed a little. if it will stay that small or grow bigger i dont know, but you got a real nice looking nem and i hope it does great for you.

OP
OP
Invert

Invert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i seen over on another site where you got flamed a little. if it will stay that small or grow bigger i dont know, but you got a real nice looking nem and i hope it does great for you.

Getting Flamed a little ????
If it was posted on another site, they must have read it here.
They should have posted there comments here and not there.

Questions are asked to gather information.
Information is needed to make decisions.

Those that decide to criticize, may or may not have information to share.

Observations have been made,
Questions have been asked,
Information has been gathered,

Information to date:
There are no Mini BTA.
There are 2 strains of them that we know of.
Thoughts are: Large Female, Small Males.
Deep Water vs Shallow Water: Determines Size

Questions = Information
Right / Correct or Wrong / Incorrect, it is still information

It is to early in the morning for this,
I need more Coffee.

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or....they (and yours) could just be healed splits :) I had 8 or so "mini bubbles" at one point after my big BTA decided to split a bunch.

I

inactive

View Badges
Typically if a nem splits multiple times, it is trying to clone itself in hopes of survival in bad water quality...

I.E. Hypo-salinity nem culturing where one 14 inch nem turns into 7.... These "Mini BTAs" are usually quarters or smaller pieces of a full grown nem... sometimes the result of one nem splitting over and over in a short period of time.

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically if a nem splits multiple times, it is trying to clone itself in hopes of survival in bad water quality...

I.E. Hypo-salinity nem culturing where one 14 inch nem turns into 7.... These "Mini BTAs" are usually quarters or smaller pieces of a full grown nem... sometimes the result of one nem splitting over and over in a short period of time.

Never had a problem with the water quality (that I knew about). Maybe the anemone thought differently. When I first received the anemone and tank from a lady locally, she told me that the anemone had split previously for her. About 4-6 months after I purchased her tank/livestock, the anemone split again--a bunch. A few weeks after it split, the red BTA in the tank I've had for years decided to split a bunch.

One of the red btas completely disappeared whereas the others all survived and healed and formed these little anemones. One of the ones from the lady's tank ended up dying from a tomato clown beating it to death. The other splits survived.

It's like the anemones were talking to each other from seperate tanks....it's almost like how my coral will poop at the same time in different tanks.... like candy canes will all poop on the same day even though they're in three seperate tanks.

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aren't there other variables other than quality of water? I understand it to be anything that makes the invert feel it's on the brink of death, like a crazy change in waterflow?
There was someone at MACNA who raises RBTA's that told me if you are constantly feeding them they will split as well.

I

inactive

View Badges
You can feed it kalkwasser and make it split too, there are too many ways to make a nem split and not enough known about them...

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had with the 40+ RBTAS I have had split into more than 4.Thats all I have to say.

There are variables as to when an anemone splits.Water quality,foods,age,sex,lighting,placment,etc.

They will split when unhappy generally,but some of us are able to keep them happy enough to make them split by a method of reproduction on a good level away from stress.

I have never fed an anemone KALK to make it split,never even heard of it,if it works,it must be one crazy method and not good for the anemones,JMHO.ALOT of food makes them split like crazy!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back