Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
short version update
Sorry there isnt to much good news at the moment. Things have been very hectic.

This was not a failure on the tanks end. This was shutdown do to my inability to address the issues needed and have the maintenance schedule needed.

i moved everything to my big tank (close to 3 gallon pico) before I left for a funeral. Most the corals transferred are doing ok or better but still lost a couple, which were already going south in the pico).

before I left I noticed major issues with salt creep and had to remove a few corals do to light not being quite right as well as evaporation. Since I was going to be out and would take another 2 weeks minimum (going on 3 now actually lol) before I could get around to taking care of my tanks, i moved everything to my big tank (close to 3 gallon pico) before I left for funeral. Most the corals transferred are doing ok or better but still lost a couple, which were already going south in the pico).

The issues that need to be improved on are the salt creep between the sump and aquarium as well as evaporation. I may try and create some sort of seal that when seated, doeas not allow any salt out, for evaporation I may ask someone who can make a lid but can have a completely sealed top except for 2 small holes at drain ends for better oxygen exchange. I will try and get this tank up and running again in the future but right now we are currently focusing on the main pico and getting our house reorganized as well as prepping for holidays and working on new phone so I can take better pictures and communicate more.

Semi longer version
Sorry there isnt to much good news at the moment. Things have been very hectic. during the end of October I was waiting on news of my Grandma, who lives out of state, who passed away beginning of November.

During which time I found out my phone was somewhat of a scam. Purchased in January through amazon as "unlocked". When I switched providers, but still using same carrier towers, phone did not work nor would the IMEI transfer. When I tried to see what the issue was with original carrier about transfer issue, I learned not only was it not unlocked, I technically didn't own it. The phone was bound to, possibly, seller and I could not change anything or was allowed to unlock without actual owners permission. I was able to get a full refund through amazon luckily but I am using an older phone that doesn't quite have all the abilities. also lost a lot of my pictures as well as ability for descent photos or videos.

The other part of this was during the time I was waiting to find out about my grandmothers passing and then when she did, the funeral time. Because of the phone issues and unable to fully communicate, being unable to properly communicate I relied on my wifes phone and my old phone after I was able to swap sim cards. I was also locked out of my work computer for a day which led to me having to use the last bit of my vacation hours to fill in as gap for bereavement leave that wasnt covered. so left last minute to make it.

for the funeral I had to leave early on a friday was gone for almost a week and a half and tank was already being neglected. I noticed major issues now with salt creep and had to remove a few corals do to light not being quite right as well as evaporation. Since I was going to be out and would take another 2 weeks minimum (going on 3 now actually lol) before I could get around to taking care of my tanks, i moved everything to my big tank (close to 3 gallon pico) before I left for funeral. Most the corals transferred are doing ok or better but still lost a couple, which were already going south in the pico).

The issues that need to be improved on are the salt creep between the sump and aquarium as well as evaporation. I may try and create some sort of seal that when seated, doeas not allow any salt out, for evaporation I may ask someone who can make a lid but can have a completely sealed top except for 2 small holes at drain ends for better oxygen exchange. I will try and get this tank up and running again in the future but right now we are currently focusing on the main pico and getting our house reorganized as well as prepping for holidays and working on new phone so I can take better pictures and communicate more.

This was not a failure on the tanks end. This was shutdown do to my inability to address the issues needed and have the maintenance schedule needed. I can now try again later on with a better idea and strategy. I may just move everything back into a small jar or something until I can address the tank issues. but everything looks fairly nice in the main pico. just dirty lol. Sorry for the long rant but this is what I have been dealing with ontop of other things going on since end of october.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back