Minical, Sharkbite and Co2

touchstone88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've modified a used Minical. To this point experienced enough difficulties that recently I picked up a sharkbite fitting to replace the nylon barb fitting on the bottom of the bubble counter.

Is it safe to use a Sharkbite fitting in this application- to handle co2? It's 1/4" x 1/8" MIP. I run a carbon doser, pH controller and coarse ARM media. Have recently reverted to the siphon method of the feed line.

IMG_1566 2.jpg

20190119_131945.jpg

OP
OP
touchstone88

touchstone88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*I don't know if co2 will cause this plain SharkBite Quick Connect to degrade* (haven't found any info to this effect on the web)

I picked up a sharkbite fitting to replace the nylon barb fitting on the bottom of the bubble counter. Is it safe to use a Sharkbite fitting in this application- to handle co2? It's 1/4" x 1/8" MIP.

The bubble counter continues to leak (nylon barb that came with the used minical) about 1ml into whatever check valve is directly under it.

Troubleshooting:
-I've emptied the bubble counter to 50% so there's less pressure.
-Tried less and more teflon tape around the threads on the male end of this nylon barb.
-Most recently I installed another check valve- a duckbill- directly below the nylon barb where co2 enters the bubble counter- and below the duckbill is the C-doser check valve.

Is it a bad idea to replace the nylon barb fitting with this quick connect?

Any input is much appreciated,

Thanks

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%

Back