Automatic Calcium Reactor Controller (ACR)

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t blow through check valves, carbon doser one or several of the Amazon brand, using 1/4” short line to blow doesn’t produce any bubbles. And I’m a fit non-smoker ;)

Carbon doser regulator was not cheap $500. Not sure how to trouble shoot it other than trying a different regulator but then how do I involve the solenoid setup?

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had a redundant Amazon check valve in the co2 line well before the carbon dozer valve. And remember getting gas out of the line at test end so co2 cracking check valve #1 but seemingly not 2nd check valve

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will yours run with just one check valve? If not replace the check valve.
Co2 art or green leaf aquariums are decent enough regulators for the price/ application. Those come with the solenoid. I use mostly Harris and victor regulators for my business which is not aquarium related, but they are overkill for this application but if you can find locally used would highly recommended To search for

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t blow through check valves, carbon doser one or several of the Amazon brand, using 1/4” short line to blow doesn’t produce any bubbles. And I’m a fit non-smoker ;)

Carbon doser regulator was not cheap $500. Not sure how to trouble shoot it other than trying a different regulator but then how do I involve the solenoid setup?
If you ever need to replace the regulator, you can simply use screw the Carbon Doser box, and thread it in to a different regulator's output.

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had a redundant Amazon check valve in the co2 line well before the carbon dozer valve. And remember getting gas out of the line at test end so co2 cracking check valve #1 but seemingly not 2nd check valve
Ok, I would suggest running with just the one check valve to get back up and running. Then you can order a new check valve to swap in. I suggest the Dennerle ones.

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Co2 art or green leaf aquariums are decent enough regulators for the price/ application. Those come with the solenoid. I use mostly Harris and victor regulators for my business which is not aquarium related, but they are overkill for this application but if you can find locally used would highly recommended To search for
I am running 2, two stage, Harris regulators. I love the Harris regulators. I recently had my main CO2 tank run all the way down to 13 psi, with not a single hiccup. Then my auto tank switcher, toggled the backup tank in and sounded an alarm to let me know to refill the main tank.

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the secondary check valve and now getting co2 delivery. So seemingly problem solved. Strange how the valve failed, no sign of calcification buildup

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the secondary check valve and now getting co2 delivery. So seemingly problem solved. Strange how the valve failed, no sign of calcification buildup
Perfect! Something must be causing it to stick. Glad it is working now.

Oops, I just noticed I had directed you to, and linked the build thread, inside the build thread, lol.

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I would suggest running with just the one check valve to get back up and running. Then you can order a new check valve to swap in. I suggest the Dennerle ones.
I’ve been running for a full day on a single check valve (cheapo brand) and by way of pH probe data and drop of pH I was clearly getting co2 to reactor. For heck of it I went to swap out cheapo with original carbon doser valve and got blasted with water on the reactor side. My run from co2 tank to reactor is about 8’ bothe co2 tank and reactor sit on the floor. I was surprised to see this much pressurized water here.

Thoughts?

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running for a full day on a single check valve (cheapo brand) and by way of pH probe data and drop of pH I was clearly getting co2 to reactor. For heck of it I went to swap out cheapo with original carbon doser valve and got blasted with water on the reactor side. My run from co2 tank to reactor is about 8’ bothe co2 tank and reactor sit on the floor. I was surprised to see this much pressurized water here.

Thoughts?
Suppose I should attempt to slow the manifold feed significantly to closer match the master flex effluent rate? I don’t have a gauge on manifold
Feed just a simple 1/4” line with John guest valve. Suppose I could turn that down a bit? Is it the feed pressure causing issue?

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thoughts?
Sounds normal to me. If the pH inside the reactor has been dropping and your controller has been activating your solenoid (Carbon Doser) to add more CO2 periodically, that sounds exactly the way a legacy style CaRx should operate. The blast of water coming out of the effluent tube when you were swapping the check valve would be the pressure being applied from your feed pump. Again, I don't see this as an issue, it will make it a bit harder for your check valve to open, but should not pose any serious drawback (assuming your check valve is working).
Suppose I should attempt to slow the manifold feed significantly to closer match the master flex effluent rate? I don’t have a gauge on manifold
Feed just a simple 1/4” line with John guest valve. Suppose I could turn that down a bit? Is it the feed pressure causing issue?
I would not bother, adjusting it. I think it is fine.

While thinking about the answer here, I realized that you probably will not see any bubbles in your ACR, or very rarely as you may not have any excess CO2 about when you reach your targeted pH (6.5) for the CaRx. When operated in saturation mode, the ACR will have a pH below 6.0, and you are cutting off CO2 well before that range. So odds are the injected CO2 will get absorbed pretty quickly and will not be in gas form to be able to make bubbles by way of the venturi for long.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back