Automatic Calcium Reactor Controller (ACR)

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you sell these?
No, not really. This thread is to help people to assemble their own based on the v4 design. I have assembled a couple for hobbyists that needed assembly help, but being located in Canada, it makes delivery onerous due to customs at the border.

Do you have an ACR? I would be happy to guide you through the assembly process if you wanted to give it a shot. It's actually not very hard to do. Mostly just stripping and crimping wires. A tiny bit of soldering depending on cable requirements for your local installation.

second_decimal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I’m still looking for this part. I did find the matching spears union parts so a new piece should slide right in. I bought the 2 venturi pipes but would like something a little less dyi and more finished. Maybe someone can 3D print it? AF653406-0467-4397-A559-95116007879B.jpeg

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Build one of these V4 controllers with a little different requirements. Dennis was key to the entire build with his help and explaining of everything. Mine auto vents and also connects to my GHL via a 6pin din to mimic a float switch. The signal sent from the controller tells the GHL Maxi 2.2 to feed the CaRx till the internal float shuts it off. Pretty easy to build. The hardest part is the accumulation of all the parts to build it. Although not extremely expensive or difficult to assemble it does takes lots of parts, connectors etc. been using it a few weeks so far and has been hands free !

IMG_1453.jpeg

Rototank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build one of these V4 controllers with a little different requirements. Dennis was key to the entire build with his help and explaining of everything. Mine auto vents and also connects to my GHL via a 6pin din to mimic a float switch. The signal sent from the controller tells the GHL Maxi 2.2 to feed the CaRx till the internal float shuts it off. Pretty easy to build. The hardest part is the accumulation of all the parts to build it. Although not extremely expensive or difficult to assemble it does takes lots of parts, connectors etc. been using it a few weeks so far and has been hands free !

IMG_1453.jpeg
Do you have a part list?

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool - I haven't gotten around to doing any kind of switchover, but recently redid my CaRx setup and looking to improve it. Also now have space to store two 20# bottles (I have a stable of 4 I swap out)

I do have a new regulator and bought a 0-10V 3000PSI pressure gauge so I can also monitor the primary side of the regulator for early runout warning (when vapor pressure drops below ~700PSI you're in the last parts of a tank)

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool - I haven't gotten around to doing any kind of switchover, but recently redid my CaRx setup and looking to improve it. Also now have space to store two 20# bottles (I have a stable of 4 I swap out)

I do have a new regulator and bought a 0-10V 3000PSI pressure gauge so I can also monitor the primary side of the regulator for early runout warning (when vapor pressure drops below ~700PSI you're in the last parts of a tank)
I just had my auto tank switcher swap to my backup tank this morning. It drained the main tank down to 13 psi without a hiccup.

It uses an IFM sensor along with a couple of Clippard valves, some switches and LEDs and that is about it.

You can see the thread for it here:

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had my auto tank switcher swap to my backup tank this morning. It drained the main tank down to 13 psi without a hiccup.

It uses an IFM sensor along with a couple of Clippard valves, some switches and LEDs and that is about it.

You can see the thread for it here:

I just realized I replied to the wrong thread :-D

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dennis Cartier not sure if you recall but a couple years back you assisted me with my ACR.
For quite some time it has been running well but some issues lately.

My setup is
*ACR retrofitted with a pH Probe at lid
*pH Contolled Solenoid using Carbon Doser
*Carbon Doser is also connected via wiring you recommended to connect to ACR built in float valve at lid (but i don't use it for CO2 saturation as I felt more confident in pH controlled)
*MasterFlex paristaltic to control effluent, pulling from ACR, effluent to sump

for the longest time i had my MasterFlex set to 9ml/min. noticing some alk drop recently i looked at effluent and realized despite MFlex setting to 9ml/min i'm actually at 21ml/min. I calibrated MFlex to now read the 21 ml/min drip rate (but now cannot lower it as this new calibrated rate is the minimum this masterflex unit produces) i forget the exact tubing size masterflex refers to but its roughly 1/4".

I control the Carbon Doser via Apex, with ACR pH Probe LOW value 6.6, HIGH value 6.7

ACR pH probe however is not dropping below 7.9

I did a quick check of CO2 output from Carbon Doser - i'm getting CO2 output following Carbon Doser and BEFORE the check valve leading to ACR Lid (have not checked CO2 flow AFTER check valve so i gotta do that).

Carbon Doser gauges set to an output of 18psi, i forget the dial bubble rate but roughly in middle of knob range.

Whats my troubleshooting check list here? First check for CO2 flow after Check Valve at Lid? I do not see or hear any bubble chop within ACR body.

Thanks appreciate any reply/assistance -Greg

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dennis Cartier not sure if you recall but a couple years back you assisted me with my ACR.
For quite some time it has been running well but some issues lately.

My setup is
*ACR retrofitted with a pH Probe at lid
*pH Contolled Solenoid using Carbon Doser
*Carbon Doser is also connected via wiring you recommended to connect to ACR built in float valve at lid (but i don't use it for CO2 saturation as I felt more confident in pH controlled)
*MasterFlex paristaltic to control effluent, pulling from ACR, effluent to sump

for the longest time i had my MasterFlex set to 9ml/min. noticing some alk drop recently i looked at effluent and realized despite MFlex setting to 9ml/min i'm actually at 21ml/min. I calibrated MFlex to now read the 21 ml/min drip rate (but now cannot lower it as this new calibrated rate is the minimum this masterflex unit produces) i forget the exact tubing size masterflex refers to but its roughly 1/4".

I control the Carbon Doser via Apex, with ACR pH Probe LOW value 6.6, HIGH value 6.7

ACR pH probe however is not dropping below 7.9

I did a quick check of CO2 output from Carbon Doser - i'm getting CO2 output following Carbon Doser and BEFORE the check valve leading to ACR Lid (have not checked CO2 flow AFTER check valve so i gotta do that).

Carbon Doser gauges set to an output of 18psi, i forget the dial bubble rate but roughly in middle of knob range.

Whats my troubleshooting check list here? First check for CO2 flow after Check Valve at Lid? I do not see or hear any bubble chop within ACR body.

Thanks appreciate any reply/assistance -Greg
Ah, yes, I remember trying to convince you to use the float valve and operate it in saturation mode. On that note, you need to have a look at the v4 controller (linked below). It is awesome for running an ACR. Night and day compared to the factory controller. Way smoother and precise operation. It uses the same Clippard valve that is inside your Carbon Doser, but uses a pressure sensor to operate it.

Ok, back to your situation. If you are not getting any bubbles in the water column within the ACR, then your not delivering CO2 to the ACR, or the CO2 is not able to overcome the back pressure inside the unit. You mention metering the effluent using the Masterflex, which is fine, but how are you feeding water to the ACR? From a manifold? What kind of check valve are you using. You will need to use enough pressure on your regulator to overcome the feed pressure and crack pressure of the check valve (the pressures stack). You mention the Caron Doser showing 18 psi? I assume this is on the regulator? If so, that is already a really high pressure to be running at., so I would be hesitant to increase it (if accurate). I operate mine at 16 psi, but my controller limits the pressure inside my ACR to a max of 5 psi.

The slow addition of CO2 from the Carbon Doser (its adding gas one bubble at a time) may cause it to struggle with high back pressures.

For your flow regulation challenges, you are probably using LS17 tubing. That will give you 17 ml/min at 6 rpm. I suspect your Masterflex drive operates at a minimum of 8 rpm, which would put you right around 21-22 ml/min. If you can, a LS16 head and tubing would give you a minimum of 6.4 ml/min (at 8 rpm). To do that, you would need to find a used head on Ebay, along with new tubing and barbs. I can help you work out what is required if you want to go that route.

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Dennis, I'll have to do my homework on the v4... it will take some time for me to get in the groove of tinkering again...

I'll double check the pressure, but yes the approx 18psi read out was on the carbon doser gauge. i recall that 15-16psi was the crack pressure for the check valve, i'm using a fairly roboust check valve - i'll try to get some pics of what i got tonight.

I am feeding the ACR with a manifold, a simple 1/4" line.
I do not see any bubbles so yeah back pressure must be limiting my CO2 from cracking in, or failed check valve, or inaccurate Carbon Doser pressure gauge.

regarding masterflex, i don't know what lead to it deciding to change but i had always a steady effluent at 9ml/min, it was only recently that i noticed it dripping far more and then i measured that 22 ml/min actual rate. is it possible that pressure in the ACR is forcing more effluent through the masterflex than it should produce? maybe change the mflex tubing.

I'll get the specs on Mflex model & tubing tonight as well

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems awfully high psi for a check valve's crack pressure. They are usually 4 - 5 psi. You may want to confirm that.

So if you are feeding it from a manifold, whatever pump is feeding the manifold will provide some pressure. The manifold pressure will stack on top of the crack pressure, so the regulator will need to overcome both of them added together to be able to push CO2 into the ACR (assuming the check valve is not defective). I like, and use, the Dennerle check valves from Europe.

The LS17 tubing can take 15 psi of pressure sustained. Meaning the tubing will rupture if exposed to greater than 15 psi of pressure on a constant basis. The intermittent pressure for that tubing is 20 psi. I doubt that you are pushing past the Masterflex head unless the rollers are worn badly.

Send me the details on your Masterflex drive and I will see if I can be more specific with help.

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems awfully high psi for a check valve's crack pressure. They are usually 4 - 5 psi. You may want to confirm that.

So if you are feeding it from a manifold, whatever pump is feeding the manifold will provide some pressure. The manifold pressure will stack on top of the crack pressure, so the regulator will need to overcome both of them added together to be able to push CO2 into the ACR (assuming the check valve is not defective). I like, and use, the Dennerle check valves from Europe.

The LS17 tubing can take 15 psi of pressure sustained. Meaning the tubing will rupture if exposed to greater than 15 psi of pressure on a constant basis. The intermittent pressure for that tubing is 20 psi. I doubt that you are pushing past the Masterflex head unless the rollers are worn badly.

Send me the details on your Masterflex drive and I will see if I can be more specific with help.
Here’s quick pic of m flex & carbon dozer & check valve

Ruling out any back pressure from manifold fill line, I shut off manifold feed, removed co2 feed line & check valve from ACR…Dunking co2 line me into cup of water verified ample bubbles through co2 pre-check valve, however getting no bubbles past check valve. I tried another check valve I had lying around and still no flow post check valve. I turned carbon dozer knob up to 20psi and still no bubbles past check valve on n test cup

IMG_1236.jpeg IMG_1235.jpeg IMG_1234.jpeg

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, lets see here. The crack pressure on that valve is supposed to be 4 psi. The no bubbles past the check valve indicates that either both valves are bad, or your regulator is way off on the pressure. Have you opened the check valve to see if it needs to be cleaned? Those Carbon Doser check valves are supposed to be able to be disassembled for cleaning. I would start there and see what is inside.

Ah, I have one of those same pump drives. I am pretty sure they are Masterflex's first foray into an electronic drive. Your model is capable of 10 - 600 RPM. So based on the LS17 head and tubing you are using, you should be getting 28.3 ml/min at the minimum. LS17 tubing provides 17 ml/min at 6 RPM, and you are using it at 10 RPM, so that is where the 28.3 ml/min comes from. In the past, when you saw 9 ml/min, you probably had the tubing value set to one of the smaller diameter tubing's and the drive displayed the flow rate based on what the smaller tubing would provide. The drives calculate the flow rate based on the RPM and the tubing setting. LS16 tubing on your drive would provide a minimum of 8 ml/min, so it might be that tubing you had selected.

You are on the right track to finding the issue. If your not getting any bubbles past the check valve in the water cup test, then the problem is the check valve or regulator.

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can suck through amd sense the crack pressure by sucking on arrow out end. However I cannot blow through arrow in side (or either side) of check valve. I think this is the valve that came w carbon dozer but not positive and I don’t see any means of disassembling

Attachments

• IMG_1238.jpeg
    IMG_1238.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1237.jpeg
    IMG_1237.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 17

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok disassembled check valve, no sign of calcification or obstruction

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, so the valve is clean. You should be able to blow throw it and get it to open. Perhaps try putting a short piece of RODI tubing in it to get a better seal. If it just does not open based on pressure on the input side, test your other check valve in the same manner to see if it will crack based on pressure on the input.

You should be able to get it to open using just your exhaling (hard) through it.

Still no smoking gun ....

Last edited:

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet it’s the carbon doser regulator. Try a better regulator , those are junk .. take it apart and see the quality lol

Back