Minimalist Aquascaping

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer epoxy since it bonds well to rock and acrylic rods. In the future I want to try using Aquaforest stone fix but for now since I am adding rock to my established tank I use expoxy to bond caribsea shapes and some real reef tonga. These rocks are great and easy to aquascape.

720855-7c7f400230c9314daea023cc57377b05.jpg

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting a new reef savvy 120 gallon tank and would like to take the minimalist approach to aquascaping.

Anybody have some nice reef tank pictures so I can get some ideas?

Gene
----------------------------------------------------------------------

@gpwdr I am getting ready to set up a SCA #Rimless 150 and I am going to be going with minimal Aquascape as well and make a more sps dominate type tank!Instead of a reef savy, I went with a 20'' Synergy external overflow box.
I have already bought two nice large pcs that were made by #Vidarocks and for the middle one of a kind center show pcs that was hand made by a company called #Aquarocks.
My display with have around a 2-3'' layer of Tropic Eden Pink MesoFlakes since I not happy with bare bottom tanks...

27983331_1193465200788460_4598593972630874884_o.jpg

150 side shot.JPG

Custom rimless SCA 150.jpg

37251620_1305067376294908_1310418689790574592_n.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On this thread a few years ago, people talked about the "old school" measure of 1lb of rock per gallon which clearly, these are not. This can depend on rock porosity, and other (eg Marine Pure) media in the sump.

I'm older school on many reef things, but those scapes just simply look great and I want to thin out my rock work for better visuals and better flow. About 140G system. The process is going to suck because my montis and acros have mushed together over time, but I can work through that.

What I DO NOT want to do is compromise my water balance by removing say... 1/4 to 1/3rd of my rock. My SPS are very happy and valuable; hate to upset them. I already have two 8X8X4 inch marine pures in the sump (for about 4 months now) so does not leave much space for moving rock down there.

So my questions:
1) Think it is safe to remove as much as 1/3rd?
2) What are the likely consequences? Bloom? mini-cycle? Heavenly bliss?
3) Besides happy coral, what should I be looking for, measuring, concerned with?
4) Any preemptive measures or experiences u can share?

Usual measures:
temp: 78.5
Sal: 1.025
Alk: 8.5
Ca: 455
Mag 1385
K: 400
Po4 barely detectable trying to raise a bit
NO3 2-5

Thank you reefers!

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On this thread a few years ago, people talked about the "old school" measure of 1lb of rock per gallon which clearly, these are not. This can depend on rock porosity, and other (eg Marine Pure) media in the sump.

I'm older school on many reef things, but those scapes just simply look great and I want to thin out my rock work for better visuals and better flow. About 140G system. The process is going to suck because my montis and acros have mushed together over time, but I can work through that.

What I DO NOT want to do is compromise my water balance by removing say... 1/4 to 1/3rd of my rock. My SPS are very happy and valuable; hate to upset them. I already have two 8X8X4 inch marine pures in the sump (for about 4 months now) so does not leave much space for moving rock down there.

So my questions:
3) Besides happy coral, what should I be looking for, measuring, concerned with?

Usual measures:
Mag 1385
NO3 2-5

Thank you reefers!

How many fish do you have? If its overstocked you may have a little bloom but i would be wary of disturbing the sand and detritus under and around the rock on the sand. You might have some issues. What about taking small amounts over time to get to your desired look?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So my questions:

Usual measures:
Mag 1385
NO3 2-5

Thank you reefers!

How many pounds of rock do you think you have now in the 140g? I agree with @HairyGary that stirring up an old sandbed would be my biggest concern. Assuming you have more than 1 lbs per gallon now, your MarinePure and the remaining rock should handle the biological filtration. I would have a lot of new water on hand and do a big water change after (or several small ones). Maybe use some filter socks or the like to catch debris as well.

You could start a second tank with the rock you remove :), or, if it is nice, see if you can get some LFS credit for it. Even craigslist. If it comes with some coral pieces many might be interested.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HairyGary on the fish, a good exercise as I have not kept a log for a bit. Herewith:
Cromis 5 @.5 = 2.5 (although they don't eat nor poop just look good and kill each other; crab food)
2 Clowns @ 1-2.0 = 3 (she bites, but in a loving way)
1 Hippo @ 2.5 -2.5 (ancient fish)
1 Purple Tang @ 2 = 2 (mean *******)
1 Yellow @ 1.5 = 1.5
1 Lawnmower @1.5 = 1.5 (fat fat fat, but no algae visible)
2 Coris wrasse @ 1.0= 2.0 (pest control!)
1 Coral beauty @ 2.0 = 2.0 (eats mainly expensive zoas)
1 Potters angel @ 2.0 = 2.0
1 Marine Betta @ 3.5 = 3.5 (but she is static; just looks good)
So 22.5 inches of fish. But some of those are low load. And my nitrates and PO4 low to ideal respectively.

My WC is 30G every 10 days. My rock is all suspended on clear acrylic rod over a 1.5" or so bed and tho I blast with a powerhead on WC day, I just know there are some dead areas behind/below. Good point.

I think you nailed it though: do it in PARTS. Then I can watch for bit before getting greedy on the final aesthetic. Thank you.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NY_Caveman
I have about 110lbs of reasonably porous rock. Mix of marco and old old live from prior systems. It is the biggest ones I need to remove to really open any space. Easily a square foot of orange monti across the big two. My LFS is moving location next month; otherwise he would take it in a heartbeat, but I will check. Guess Craigs or local facebook interest group might make some sense. No space in the frag tank right now :(

Note above my fish load in reply to @HairyGary . Kinda crept up on me, but all that rock plus reasonable husbandry kept nutrients managed to date. Does that not look like a biggish bioload?

Most of my rock is suspended over the sand but yea. There is some dark & nasty back there somewhere for sure. How about this checklist at the time of disturbance?
1) crank up return pump from 60 to 100%
2) run socks maybe with some floss
3) turn carbon on 24 hrs
4) Skimmer 24 hrs
5) maybe add some of that silly water clarifier that clumps dust for floss capture
6) Prep for a couple of 25G WC (me and my LFS buddy designed a very efficient system for this thankfully)

So funny this hobby. Once you get things (finally) dialed in, you want to go changing things. Awesome.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Art2249

OK I am jealous. My DT is a Red Sea 525 and the cabinet is FULL of fun stuff but no room there for more rock. Only the MarinePure blocks would fit.

While I did manage to plumb to basement mixing station for WC :), in my next life I will plumb also for a basement sump where I can put all the fun I can afford.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@NY_Caveman
I have about 110lbs of reasonably porous rock. Mix of marco and old old live from prior systems. It is the biggest ones I need to remove to really open any space. Easily a square foot of orange monti across the big two. My LFS is moving location next month; otherwise he would take it in a heartbeat, but I will check. Guess Craigs or local facebook interest group might make some sense. No space in the frag tank right now :(

Note above my fish load in reply to @HairyGary . Kinda crept up on me, but all that rock plus reasonable husbandry kept nutrients managed to date. Does that not look like a biggish bioload?

Most of my rock is suspended over the sand but yea. There is some dark & nasty back there somewhere for sure. How about this checklist at the time of disturbance?
1) crank up return pump from 60 to 100%
2) run socks maybe with some floss
3) turn carbon on 24 hrs
4) Skimmer 24 hrs
5) maybe add some of that silly water clarifier that clumps dust for floss capture
6) Prep for a couple of 25G WC (me and my LFS buddy designed a very efficient system for this thankfully)

So funny this hobby. Once you get things (finally) dialed in, you want to go changing things. Awesome.

I don’t think you are overloaded. I would just be careful of major disturbance in the stand but South da like you have precautions and filtration prepared. Good luck!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back