minimax anemones?

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know where I can buy some/ have experience with online retailers? Does anyone know how old a tank should be before I introduce a minimax? My tank is fairly new and my plan was to put it in before I put corals in. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know where I can buy some/ have experience with online retailers? Does anyone know how old a tank should be before I introduce a minimax? My tank is fairly new and my plan was to put it in before I put corals in. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

I put one in my tank probably before I should have, and it’s doing well. I think they are considered a “beginner” nem.

It’s my understanding that they don’t host anything well at all, so not a good choice for that. I do think they are beautiful under blue lights though!

I’ll let much more experienced folks give detailed info, but I really love mine, and it’s done quite well with minimal effort.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua SD always has LOTS of mini maxi nems. They just listed a bunch of new ones today.
Some are inexpensive, some more expensive, depending on how exotic they look.
They are very hardy and you can add them to any stable tank with good parameters and light.
White spot anemone shrimp will live in them, and that looks very nice.
No clowns use them as hosts, and in fact they will try to eat a clown if one blunders into them.
They can also grow to be fairly large over time, 4" or even larger.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 20 of them! My favorite place to get them has been Cherry Corals, they are always beautiful. I wouldn't do anemones until your tank is at least 6 months and only if your parameters are super stable. AquaSD has had some really nice ones as well.

OP
OP
Aeb1419

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im planning to put one in a 20 gallon. Im worried about my fish. You think they will know not to go near it?

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some will argue that a healthy fish will not be eaten, I think in my case it was the fact that he lived in a hole with multiple maxis surrounding it.

ChiSox Rabbitfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local Petco has 3 beautiful maxis in one of there tanks for about 4 months now they can’t sell them because all 3 are stuck on one rock and nobody wants to buy all 3 at once plus the rock

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is fairly large, at least 4 in across if not bigger at times, and I’ve never been worried about my fish. A few learned the hard way not to nip at it, but otherwise it tends to retract from larger animals, including my crabs and shrimp.

Maybe other maxis are more aggressive, but I can’t imagine mine attacking anything that was alive and healthy.

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aqua SD has the best. Got mine from Live aquaria, but that was before I found Aqua SD. Bad thing about live aquaria is you cant pick what color you get.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just broadcast feed, they get what they need. I have sexy shrimp living in mine and no issues. Only time one ever nabbed a fish was with a wrasse that was pretty much dead. Otherwise they dont even sting other corals.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what happened with one of mine and a clownfish.

It was a month or so after adding a harem of juvenile clowns to a 90g tank with dozens of different anemones.
I had been squirting thawed frozen food into the water in different locations, to see if I could speed up the clowns getting interested in the btas and other clown-hosting nems.
Happened to squirt some food near a 3" minimaxi.
A Phantom clown rapidly zoomed down at the food, and careened right into the minimaxi.
The anemone immediately closed up around the clown, grabbing it and pulling it down. Couldn't see the fish at all.
I watched this happen, dumbfounded.
Pulled the tank lid right away, stuck my thumb in there and scooped the clown out.
Actually took some effort, I could feel it tearing away from the nem.
It was dazed and wobbly, couldn't swim straight, and still had tentacles stuck to it.
No doubt if I hadn't done something, that clown would have been lunch.
Decided just to watch, wait and see if it recovered.
It started swimming normally after an hour or two.
Tentacles fell off the next day and the welts healed over a few days.
Here's the little guy shortly after I saved him from the jaws of death:

IMG_5930b.jpg

IMG_5920b.jpg

Last edited:

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at Aqua SD and they have some nice ones. Do you have to manually feed it?

They love to be target fed and will greedily accept most any meaty food.
Although target feeding is not necessary for them to do well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back