Minimum slope for drain to sump

Blue Collar Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 22, 2024
Messages
64
Reaction score
44
Location
Massachusetts
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on having my sump on the other side of the wall in a separate room and wondering if a 1 1/2” drain pipe with 1/4” per foot slope on a 6’ run would be sufficient for about 800-1,000gph? I can’t find a calculation for this. I know the pipe is rated for ~2100gph but not sure if slope plays a role in the total gph.
I’m probably overthinking this.
I’m trying to keep my sump at a comfortable height for maintenance ect.
 
Planning on having my sump on the other side of the wall in a separate room and wondering if a 1 1/2” drain pipe with 1/4” per foot slope on a 6’ run would be sufficient for about 800-1,000gph? I can’t find a calculation for this. I know the pipe is rated for ~2100gph but not sure if slope plays a role in the total gph.
I’m probably overthinking this.
I’m trying to keep my sump at a comfortable height for maintenance ect.
Overthinking it. But would be better to have an additional emergency drain just in case.
 
it wont be a problem. you can lay it flat over the 6' run and it will be fine. I have a 30' run of 1 1/2" drain (herbie style) and drain around 1500 gph through it. My drop from overflow to sump is about 5' 6".
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new