Miracle Mud — Rinse or Replace?

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Miracle Mud in my HOB fuge. Would rinsing it strip it of its trace elements? Would not rinsing it (and disturbing it by transferring to a new refugium) be akin to not rinsing sand? Or should I just buy new Miracle Mud for my in-sump fuge?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Miracle Mud in my HOB fuge. Would rinsing it strip it of its trace elements? Would not rinsing it (and disturbing it by transferring to a new refugium) be akin to not rinsing sand? Or should I just buy new Miracle Mud for my in-sump fuge?
The prevailing method is to replace, regularly. I replace half once a year. For a HOB it isn't that much product to replace so worth it to replace IMHO.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How I do it
ZomboMeme 05102021230943.jpg

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I used it once when I first got into the hobby 7+ years ago as it was more popular back then. Haven't seen much of it until I recently saw it again. Not going as far as saying it's on a come-back, but at leave I noticed it. Maybe it just didn't go anywhere.

Moving on. My last tank was successful for me and had it inside. Anecdotal, but I will buy again however my new tank is significantly larger.

The question is to replace or rinse. I'm not really looking for the trace element part of it since I may be getting what I need through trace dosing + CaRX. I'm actually looking at it from a bacteria perspective being sourced way out in the blue ocean. Potentially increasing bio-diversity. From that perspective, I'm assuming the bact will seed and go inside my tank. Eventually limiting when it can't compete against any other existing bact. already present. Theory is it'll do all the goodness while it can while trying to replace and either successfully earns it's place amongst my current tank bio-diversity ... or get out-competed and the mud bact. disappears.

Anyone else looking at it from this perspective? Or all for the packaging stated trace elements. Buy and continue to replace for the trace or seed one time and hopefully it'll continue to add benefits.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I used it once when I first got into the hobby 7+ years ago as it was more popular back then. Haven't seen much of it until I recently saw it again. Not going as far as saying it's on a come-back, but at leave I noticed it. Maybe it just didn't go anywhere.

Moving on. My last tank was successful for me and had it inside. Anecdotal, but I will buy again however my new tank is significantly larger.

The question is to replace or rinse. I'm not really looking for the trace element part of it since I may be getting what I need through trace dosing + CaRX. I'm actually looking at it from a bacteria perspective being sourced way out in the blue ocean. Potentially increasing bio-diversity. From that perspective, I'm assuming the bact will seed and go inside my tank. Eventually limiting when it can't compete against any other existing bact. already present. Theory is it'll do all the goodness while it can while trying to replace and either successfully earns it's place amongst my current tank bio-diversity ... or get out-competed and the mud bact. disappears.

Anyone else looking at it from this perspective? Or all for the packaging stated trace elements. Buy and continue to replace for the trace or seed one time and hopefully it'll continue to add benefits.
That’s how I see it , fkr bacterial diversity . I’d reccomend ordering from ipsf.com their mud was full of life! Snails / crabs / pods

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s how I see it , fkr bacterial diversity . I’d reccomend ordering from ipsf.com their mud was full of life! Snails / crabs / pods

then it’s not a periodic replenish :). Use it once and expect the bact to spread and propagate throughout the tank.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that replace, I'm wondering if there is a simpler way to use and replace periodically using a sock. Theory is that the sock (100 micron?) would be sufficient to contain the MM and not have it escape everywhere inside the sump and eventually make its way to the DT. This way enough water flows through it to seed or provide any benefits eventually to replace the entire sock every year or so. Thinking through the "seeding" angle the water flow is actually higher through this experiment vs have it sit in a small tray with only water flowing over the top layer of it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back