Misinformation in the Reefing Hobby

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CUC's will solve your problems. When in fact all you need is to get a turkey baster , tooth brush, and get up off your butt and do some maintenance. CUC's= biggest rip off in the industry. Fact!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CUC's will solve your problems. When in fact all you need is to get a turkey baster , tooth brush, and get up off your butt and do some maintenance. CUC's= biggest rip off in the industry. Fact!

Just coming back from a week of drift diving I didn't see one turkey baster or tooth brush among the many reefs I dove. I did, however, see a lot of tangs, snails, and other creatures that fall into that category for home aquaria.

On a more serious note - turkey basters and tooth brushes are essential tools to have without a doubt.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is killing me right now. I've got an old Ocean Revive light above my office tank with a new Hydra 32HD sitting in the cabinet below. I want to switch, I think it might look better after I do and the corals MIGHT do better with the new light ... but everything seems to be doing well so I'm dragging my feet on it.
Right? I mean the moment you decide to change something up that's working, you run the risk of it not just possibly being better, but possibly being worse.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overcomplications often come when there are a dozen different approaches that can all be successful but none are 100% guarantees. (Think: ways to get rid of GHA) So you have bunches of people saying that you need to do this one thing - all of which are different. Then you have others that combine and blend, and say you need to do multiple or all of those things.
Somebody looks up how to get rid of GHA, reads all those methods and combinations, and concludes that there's a 12 step combo you have to get just right to unlock the secret to get rid of green hair algae.

Suddenly things look depressingly complicated.
Exactly what I was and am going through.
This makes me want to post a full review of my current system because that was my goal going in after running super labor-intensive, super $$$ systems. Everywhere you look at my system, it screams "wow, this is a cheap tank, it must look terrible" right until the moment you actually see the display. I've personally serviced $50k tanks in La Jolla ($$$ San Diego) that looked like barren wastelands blasted sterile by Radions and days away from catastrophic failure because "this and that" were constantly being added to the tank by an overly fussy owner. It's amazing what can be accomplished with equipment most new reefers would poo-poo because BRS is selling something supposedly miles better than what works fine and simply letting things be good enough. "It's good enough"... that should be the true motto for success in this hobby. In reality, it comes down to knowledge, experience a maintenance schedule that you can reliably stick to and picking equipment that's actually needed and not just desired for the tank.
Completely agree. While I do buy a lot from BRS, their marketing makes it seem like there’s no better solution besides their own. And reasonably so. They’re a business just like all the other businesses and if they say you can do this other way then they wouldn’t be in business. but It comes to a point where they make, for example, lighting the most important thing, when in reality, I bought these copy cat light strips of something on BRS for a third of the price and it’s made my tank look beautiful.

This hobby doesn’t have to be expensive, but “misinformation” makes it.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I come to realize it more and more. I buy 10 trochus snails when algae booms, they all die for some reason after 6-12 months and they don’t do anything compared to doing that. Now…mad respect for my urchin lol. CUC is the icing on the cake
Just coming back from a week of drift diving I didn't see one turkey baster or tooth brush among the many reefs I dove. I did, however, see a lot of tangs, snails, and other creatures that fall into that category for home aquaria.

On a more serious note - turkey basters and tooth brushes are essential tools to have without a doubt.
Theres also a bunch of other factors such as flow, parameters, etc. Reef aquariums are artificial systems, and the ocean is natural. Those critters help, but I wouldn’t say they’re the prime driver of algae control.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres also a bunch of other factors such as flow, parameters, etc. Reef aquariums are artificial systems, and the ocean is natural. Those critters help, but I wouldn’t say they’re the prime driver of algae control.

It goes without saying. However I have never seen a algae problem in areas with herbivores. I've seen algae in areas that didn't have them present. Note that I am not saying X many per gallon or what type(s). I am saying the are part of the equation.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should know that if you change course in your biocube, any pending 'crash' can be arrested and the tank fully turned around.

ironically, we'd fix it in 3 days using a procedure deemed 'misinformation' which is why we should test that material here, live time, using your tank. if you want your tank fixed in three days, post a pic of your nano in whatever condition it's in. I'll reply with a link showing 8 nano's like yours fixed, then we run the method on your tank and the pending crash is no more. if your tank was 132 gallons that would require a different means: but it's a nano, therefore rules that work uniquely for nanos can be applied and have your tank saved before the weekend.

it will be doubly ironic that using the mass-accepted means of nano reefing brought your tank to near crash...we'll fix it using the unaccepted means. misinformation will save your reef, that's how it always goes down for us.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed through post history people have been trying to help your tank since December/it's not progressing

=the masses don't use methods that uninvade tanks, they use methods that invade tanks (check any stickied tank repair thread in the nuisance algae forum: not fixes, mainly tradeoff invasions between cyano, dinos and green hair algae) we should get your nano right off that wheel and onto a method that repairs it rather instantly.

once your tank is fixed the right way, I can add yours as the ninth fixed nano for a particular reference thread we are building with fixed reefs. our prior reference thread got out to page 54 (all fixes) and that's too much bulk for readers, so we started a new tank saving thread and your system will be perfect for it because nobody is able to fix it using mass-accepted ways, it's a persistent issue, and your tank can't take it much longer it really will crash if we don't arrest that crash.

post a full tank picture if you want your reef fixed, I'll pick a job we've already done like yours and show you how your tank could look tomorrow.

it really honestly looks like you haven't enjoyed your reef in 1.3 years. it's been constant searching for invasion remediation since then, using everything but the 1 way that gets your tank in control as soon as you're ready to run it without question.

we have a chance to redefine what misinformation is, using your tank, we should do that. I'm fully accountable right here for any bad outcomes, we won't have any if you run the method exactly as will be stated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed through post history people have been trying to help your tank since December/it's not progressing

=the masses don't use methods that uninvade tanks, they use methods that invade tanks (check any stickied tank repair thread in the nuisance algae forum: not fixes, mainly tradeoff invasions between cyano, dinos and green hair algae) we should get your nano right off that wheel and onto a method that repairs it rather instantly.

once your tank is fixed the right way, I can add yours as the ninth fixed nano for a particular reference thread we are building with fixed reefs. our prior reference thread got out to page 54 (all fixes) and that's too much bulk for readers, so we started a new tank saving thread and your system will be perfect for it because nobody is able to fix it using mass-accepted ways, it's a persistent issue, and your tank can't take it much longer it really will crash if we don't arrest that crash.

post a full tank picture if you want your reef fixed, I'll pick a job we've already done like yours and show you how your tank could look tomorrow.

it really honestly looks like you haven't enjoyed your reef in 1.3 years. it's been constant searching for invasion remediation since then, using everything but the 1 way that gets your tank in control as soon as you're ready to run it without question.

we have a chance to redefine what misinformation is, using your tank, we should do that. I'm fully accountable right here for any bad outcomes, we won't have any if you run the method exactly as will be stated.
I’m good, thanks. I’d appreciate you not snooping through my post history and sticking to the thread title. Thanks.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was to help you enjoy your tank after over a year's downturn and trying ten different common ways. not a prob though. post history is common/fair public info, used to fill in gaps, assess thought processes in reef designs etc: I never care if mine is searched. shows earnest tank fixin' work.

your main need it seemed / what sent you on the information journey was fixing the tank in process of crashing, that snippet from your opening post stood out.

if we fixed your reef you'd have comparative information on hand you could use to identify what was misinformation. good luck with your tank either way ~

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back