Missing Fish - How Long Before I You Start Looking...?

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, my Arrowhead Basslet mysteriously died last week. Got the gills scraped and LFS came up with nothing.

Golden Heart Trigger and Blue Throat seemed sick/off have now been missing for days. Both are about 5 inches, so I'd assume the decay would cause some sort of issues at this size. I've checked behind the tank, no possible jump situation.

I went with hypo salinity as the treatment option.

I'm using ORP, ammonia and general water clarity as a sign of decay but nothing.

ORP is 430, Ammonia is zero and water is pretty crystal clear.

When would you start flipping rocks?

Attachments

• IMG_9092.MOV
    55.9 MB

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know your fish the best so I suggest to always look for a reason as soon as you sense something is off. When it comes to fish disease or injury, there is usually a very small window for you to provide effective treatment.

OP
OP
0MNSH1ZLLC

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know your fish the best so I suggest to always look for a reason as soon as you sense something is off. When it comes to fish disease or injury, there is usually a very small window for you to provide effective treatment.

Definitely think these fish are goners unfortunately. Didn't think they were bad off enough to go copper.

The CUC option is definitely my favorite as I don't want to mess with already established territories by flipping rocks.

It's pretty bizarre to me that I see no sign of these fish, is it possible CUC and other predators already got to them?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely think these fish are goners unfortunately. Didn't think they were bad off enough to go copper.

The CUC option is definitely my favorite as I don't want to mess with already established territories by flipping rocks.

It's pretty bizarre to me that I see no sign of these fish, is it possible CUC and other predators already got to them?
Sorry I can’t see your video on my phone to comment on that. Idk how big your tank is nor do I know how much CUC you got. You probably don’t know how much CUC you really have underneath all the rocks as well…., have you checked ammonia to see if there is a spike?

OP
OP
0MNSH1ZLLC

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I can’t see your video on my phone to comment on that. Idk how big your tank is nor do I know how much CUC you got. You probably don’t know how much CUC you really have underneath all the rocks as well…., have you checked ammonia to see if there is a spike?

230 gal, heavily stocked with 55 gal sump.

Lots of rock work, ammonia is zero. I do see the hermits every night, but they are small. Water is clear so no blooms from decay.

Attachments

• IMG_9094.jpg
    IMG_9094.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 40

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
230 gal, heavily stocked with 55 gal sump.

Lots of rock work, ammonia is zero. I do see the hermits every night, but they are small. Water is clear so no blooms from decay.
I can’t say for sure but I think your current hard scape is against the back wall which tends to have many dead spots that neither in-tank circulation nor you can easily get to. If that’s right, maybe it is time to re-do that a little while searching for the missing fish.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, my Arrowhead Basslet mysteriously died last week. Got the gills scraped and LFS came up with nothing.

Golden Heart Trigger and Blue Throat seemed sick/off have now been missing for days. Both are about 5 inches, so I'd assume the decay would cause some sort of issues at this size. I've checked behind the tank, no possible jump situation.

I went with hypo salinity as the treatment option.

I'm using ORP, ammonia and general water clarity as a sign of decay but nothing.

ORP is 430, Ammonia is zero and water is pretty crystal clear.

When would you start flipping rocks?
If you need to flip rocks to find them then just be careful you dont cause a slide or drop a rock on your fish, especially the missing ones if they are alive and dart away

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had seen it both ways. 3”-4” fishes disappearing in my tank without seeing a body. I don’t really have a cleanup crew (fowlr) and water is clear, ammonia is good. I also have it where the body will surface a couple of days later )after I presumed it’s died with missing eyes , fins, decaying…

OP
OP
0MNSH1ZLLC

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had seen it both ways. 3”-4” fishes disappearing in my tank without seeing a body. I don’t really have a cleanup crew (fowlr) and water is clear, ammonia is good. I also have it where the body will surface a couple of days later )after I presumed it’s died with missing eyes , fins, decaying…

I suppose it's possible that the Basslet just got sucked into the MP40 while sleeping.

I'm going to bite the bullet and start moving the rocks around tomorrow. Still absolutely no signs of both fish.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back