Missing Fish, I'm bummed

robertifly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last two months I've lost two nice clown fish one of a pair Black Ice and another regular Ice clown. I mean no sign of any bodies at all. 80% of my rock is dry reef with 20% retained from rock I have had in the tank a long time, I did catch a hairy crab that was in the tank previously I suppose I could still have one. The tank has two anemone one a green that has a pair of clowns that I've had for 10 years and the other is a red anemone that nothing has paired up with. I really am stumped on this one, I suppose I could set a trap and see if I get anything. So now I have two single fish one ice and one black ice who so far have shown no interest in each other. Yeah, I'm bummed:mad:

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have? Am I correct in reading that at one point you had four clowns in the tank?

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried 4 clowns, then they killed off one and before long the other two knocked off the weak one. I think it is the nature of clowns, much like Highlander, there can only be two

OP
OP
R

robertifly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eureka! The Black Ice found safe today in the overflow box and returned to tank, still no sign of the regular Ice fish that's missing. The two mature percula are so involved with their nem I don't think they will bother anything that keeps its distance, but that single ice fish is a menace I'd be glad to give it away but I don't ship. Central west tn is location if anyone is close.

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also had fish disappear to not be found again. A yellow coris wrasse and a lawnmower blenny. I guess they hide to die in peace and end up being food to cuc, snails, worms, pods etc.

OP
OP
R

robertifly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose so, still it's strange no sign at all.
BTW, aren't those fish supposed to be able to change sex if need be?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain.
In the past few weeks I have had two Lubbock Wrasse disappear.
The first my female about five weeks back, just gone without a trace.
The second a Super male dissapeared and I found him in my sump, returned him to the display, and three days ago he dissapeared compleatly.
I do not have crabs or shrimp to consume the carcass just snails.
Si I am suspect of my BTA or Elegance.
But I have given both shrimp or scallop pieces that were half the size of the Lubbocks and they rejected that large of a piece.
So I have crushed coral not a sand bed so nither have dug into it.

OP
OP
R

robertifly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your Wrasse going missing, perhaps the BTA I have a red and green. The green has a pair of true percula strongly bonded but nothing goes close to the red, he is growing pretty good but don't they usually puke out some remains of solid food after they are done digesting the meal?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found a actual body only a few times...usually You wont see anything; maybe a phosphate spike but in a reef full of bristle worms, crabs and hungry fish; nothing .... jumpers = cat food

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing to consume a carcass. LoL

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back