Missing jawfish

emperata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I released a yellow headed jawfish last week. He acted dead in a corner for four days. The next morning there was a pbig pile of freshly dug sand beside a rock. I haven’t seen him since. My first jawfish. Any comments/advice/experience appreciated. Jeff

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a Diamond Goby in my 150— he went right to work sifting sand and rearranging huge mounds of sand. After about 2-3 days I stopped seeing him. My tank is a FOWLR, so no clean-up crew whatsoever. Long story short he completely vanished for about two weeks— but yesterday I just happened to be near the tank when the timed lights came on and there he was!. But now he has vanished again; so I rate him as “alive but boring!!” :(

CryptQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I released a yellow headed jawfish last week. He acted dead in a corner for four days. The next morning there was a pbig pile of freshly dug sand beside a rock. I haven’t seen him since. My first jawfish. Any comments/advice/experience appreciated. Jeff
He's living under the rock. Just give him some time and he will start coming out of his burrow. I have 4 of them and they all have very different personalities. Two are very active and have no qualms about leaving their dens and scavenging for food while another is a bit more reluctant and more timid, but he definitely has his head out watching all day...the fourth one...he's a wuss. He literally lives under the biggest "boss" Jawfish. We only see him when the big one moves out of the den completely and then it's just a tiny head and big eyes peeking out from the dark hole in the sand. I have given all of them rubble and tiny shells and they love building around their rock(s). It has also helped them become more confident. Before giving them anything to build with they would just stay in their holes with their heads barely poking out.

Attachments

• 20211201_201639.jpg
    20211201_201639.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 32

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back