Missing Pistol Candy Cane Shrimp

Isleofzoa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers, I bought a red banded pistol shrimp 2 weeks ago and haven't seen him since. The LFS said that the Tiger Goby I purchased with them would pair up once they met. This never happened :( I was advised since the pistol was very tiny that I should not just let him go at the top of the tank. I helped him by putting him down near the bottom of a rock, which had an entrance. He went right in and I never saw him again. I put the goby in next and he took to a different rock. Yesterday I picked up the rock I had seen him go underneath, but I did not see him. I have heard a snap once, but I don't know if hes ok. Is this normal?? Is he dead??

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that’s fairly normal. Look for little mounds of sand. They make pretty extensive burrows. Listen for it at night after lights out.

OP
OP
Isleofzoa

Isleofzoa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that’s fairly normal. Look for little mounds of sand. They make pretty extensive burrows. Listen for it at night after lights out.
as in an opening? i did have an opening behind the rock he went in? I did sway out that rock and added a nicer rock there and the Goby moved in. I hope they connect.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They cover their burrow and make little mountains of sand on either side as they dig it out. I wouldn’t stress too much. If you’ve heard it, it is still in there. Since it is small it’s pretty unlikely to be too daring. The goby will find it, assuming it is a shrimp goby of some sort, so no need to do anything else.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most people say they don't see theirs. We have a very brazen pistol, but his Goby is the witch of the tank too.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pretty big tiger pistol paired with a yasha hasha goby. That sucker was out all the time. Mostly to pick up my frags to make his doors with :mad:

OP
OP
Isleofzoa

Isleofzoa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They cover their burrow and make little mountains of sand on either side as they dig it out. I wouldn’t stress too much. If you’ve heard it, it is still in there. Since it is small it’s pretty unlikely to be too daring. The goby will find it, assuming it is a shrimp goby of some sort, so no need to do anything else.
It's a tiger goby. They shop said they have paired this type of goby with pistols in their own tank. These two I purchased were not together.

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be patient, I had the same reaction after getting my small candy cane. Did you remove the rock completely or just move it? I have fiji rock and he was actually hiding within the rock when I took it out to look for him.

Moral of the story is patience lol I'm sure he's ok

OP
OP
Isleofzoa

Isleofzoa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pretty big tiger pistol paired with a yasha hasha goby. That sucker was out all the time. Mostly to pick up my frags to make his doors with :mad:
Ha!!! I love it!! I put a few small rocks and shells I found on the beach. My tiger goby took one of the flat rocks and brought it in his cave and never to be seen again. He does spit sand on my frags, which I use a baster to blast off the sand.

OP
OP
Isleofzoa

Isleofzoa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be patient, I had the same reaction after getting my small candy cane. Did you remove the rock completely or just move it? I have fiji rock and he was actually hiding within the rock when I took it out to look for him.

Moral of the story is patience lol I'm sure he's ok
I took the rock out and broke some pieces off of it to shape it better. I never found hi in that rock or in any pieces. I had a flower anemone on that rock too, which is doing fine. I put a bigger rock in that place. I looked over the rock and did not see him.

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the rock out and broke some pieces off of it to shape it better. I never found hi in that rock or in any pieces. I had a flower anemone on that rock too, which is doing fine. I put a bigger rock in that place. I looked over the rock and did not see him.

I see. I still wouldn't worry too much. Most likely he's just spooked by the new environment or could possibly be molting? Regardless I would give it a full month before I get too concerned.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back