Mixed Bubble Tip Anemone Tank

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it didn’t work out for you. Thanks, so far so good. I’m hoping that things continue well. I keep getting splits so it’s a blessing and a curse. LOL
Just means you can trade them in for more colour morphs!!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank purely just BTAs? Also, when you say fighting, I always thought anemones were like coral in which they’re able to sit next to eachother if they’re the same species (I assume it doesn’t matter about the colour morph, they’re still the same species). Is this not the case?

OP
OP
LyssaRanay

LyssaRanay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Non stress related splitting is generally an indicator of good health.

The current inhabitants include haddoni carpets, h. Magnifica, mini carpets, 5 variety of RBTA, a Sherman,purple sabae, bunch o rock flowers and a borneman.
Yes, my rainbows split like no one’s business. my others are slightly slower splitting than the rainbows.

oh wow. That is awesome! I love to see all the different types in a tank together!

OP
OP
LyssaRanay

LyssaRanay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just means you can trade them in for more colour morphs!!
Haha. Yes that is the plan. I’m having to reaquascape in the next two weeks because I have so many and I’m running out of room
The 180 build is coming along but it will be awhile yet before I can put the nems in there.

OP
OP
LyssaRanay

LyssaRanay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank purely just BTAs? Also, when you say fighting, I always thought anemones were like coral in which they’re able to sit next to eachother if they’re the same species (I assume it doesn’t matter about the colour morph, they’re still the same species). Is this not the case?
There is a lot of controversy surrounding this and chemical warfare. I ended up coming on reef 2 reef because the Facebook Groups for saltwater are full of angry know it all people that just want to be rude and nasty. LOL.
I was told by many many people in these groups that you cannot mix anemones even if they are the same species because of chemical warfare and that they will fight. But I looked and looked and looked all over the world wide wide and while there really isn’t much on allopathy (chemical warfare) most of it seems to be with mixing different species of nems. I’m not saying that it cannot happen HOWEVER I am in agreement with you. They are all the same nem. A lot of these higher end nem guys talk about how you cannot mix sunbursts with other bubble tips and it just makes me want to get a sunburst and see how it does. LOL. One of these higher end guys ended up admitting that they reason they don’t want to mix is because the nems can morph by touching each other. I have a baby rose that loves to touch the LemonDrop at all times and it’s color is completely different than all the other roses. So essentially they don’t want the bloodline tainted because they don’t make the big money. This tank has resulted in many people calling me crazy stating it won’t last. However it just pushes me to continue with the tank.
anyway getting to my long winded point (facepalm) You are correct in my opinion, they are all the same Nem type and they would all be able to sit together and touch. They have a foot, so they can move if unhappy.

OP
OP
LyssaRanay

LyssaRanay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice nem tank! Are you willing to part ways with any of the lemon drops?
Currently no. However once I get a split yes. I do not split my nems, I let them spilt naturally. I will come back and tag you once I have a split if you are still interested.

OP
OP
LyssaRanay

LyssaRanay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first time I didn't notice. One morning I found one peaking out behind the rock. Now I have three. This time I saw more of it, not the split but the aftermath. That was yesterday, they were all small and shriveled. Part of me was worried what if one doesn’t make it. I had a water change and an ammonia badge ready. Then today, they are about 80% full again. They split in half yesterday? That's crazy.
I am going to have to start sell/trading these, because soon (well in about six months) I will have eight!
Thats a awesome problem to have. Get you some coin or some credit at the LFS.
sometimes water changes can make it happen as well as light changes or even a increase or decrease in food and even adding a fish. My wild maroon is very rough twitch the nems but they love it so I just let it be. LOL

emilybell1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed nem tank too! Everyone said it was impossible but I run a ton of carbon, feed heavy, and water change once a week and all has been good for a while! If you ever end up selling any of your purple passions I’d be interested!

vtshadow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to boast or pat myself on the back, but just for another data point - I run zero carbon in my nem tank, and haven't done a water change/tested the water in months. The tank is overgrown with xenia, so maybe that's helping with the water quality :thinking-face:. Currently, it's stocked with rainbow bubble tip, nexus burst, black widow, CC supernova, and a chicago anemone. I don't think there's any actual warfare going on since everyone has been happy (besides the CC super nova, all the other anemones have been in there together for 4+ months).

OP
OP
LyssaRanay

LyssaRanay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7E9344FF-B56A-443E-86B3-8F3BDB3552F7.jpeg

Not the Best Picture, lots of blues but this is what a water change looks like for me. I do about 30 percent weekly.

OP
OP
LyssaRanay

LyssaRanay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5164D74D-4C75-414A-B0D3-BD280C2AF4D4.jpeg

Re-Aquascaped the Bubble Tip Nem tank this weekend. They are growing faster and splitting consistently. Just a temp fix while working on the 180 upgrade. They seem to like it. I have one rainbow who has has made his home on the overflow. ‍♀️♀️ Nems will be Nems
17D6528B-6CAD-450E-B51A-A77B1F54B4A9.jpeg

Side view. Notice the rainbow on the overflow.
64274167-784E-4C23-B9AF-C920BC839A65.jpeg

here is another side view.
91B0B620-8862-4DA8-85C6-DFD636DF5E8B.jpeg

close up of my LemonDrop nem. The little baby rose nem next to it will not leave it’s side. Any time the LemonDrop moves the baby rose nem follows.
055A24F1-D84A-4269-9208-04559EC153EC.jpeg

Pulled the Blinds Up and got some brighter light which intensifies the colors.
I do have a few corals in the tank the plan was to make the back wall covered in zoas.
however once the 180 upgrade is ready for the nems then just the nems will move the coral will remain.

OP
OP
LyssaRanay

LyssaRanay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are about grapefruit size and seem to stay about there. Both are offspring from a neighbor that came from the same mother. I got them about 3-4 months apart. the one that just split is the older one and this was its first split. There color is a deeper red with more of an orange center but not as intense as a Chicago fire or sunburst. My LFS has a bunch that are a bit more pinkish.
If I remember I try to take some pics tomorrow
Please do. I love seeing pics of other peoples nems.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back