mixed softie LPS reef with only biological filtration...possible?

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you with mixed softie/LPS tanks, do you run carbon or other chemical filtration? I've read that leathers in particular can release problematic chemicals in the tank. I only use biological filtration right now but I only have two small LPS coral frags. If I added some gorgonians and/or some ricordeas would those eventually destroy LPS corals via chemical warfare unless I run carbon?

Thanks

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 90g mostly zoas tank, with a few lps and sps corals. I never run any chemical filtration.

I have a small refugium of 25g with macro algae, 2 filter socks and a skimmer. That's it. And all the corals do well. I've even had 3 rounds of Rock Flower Anemone propagation. Each time I gained 10 to 25 baby anemones.

This was my old 40g tank that used the same filtration method. The corals grew so well I had no room. So I tore it down and replaced it with a new 90g DIY tank.

Almost FTS June 2019.jpg

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, just because they’re in the same tank doesn’t mean they’ll poison it. You can add whatever you’d like, but just place them so they won’t touch each other. You’ve got way more of a risk of touching corals killing each other than nuking a tank.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back