Mixed Tank Lighting Suggestions

MustaLine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 210g 60x30x30 and plan on fish, anemones, softy/LPS and hopefully SPS when it's ready.

Researched a while back and settled on 2 Neptune sky fixtures mostly for Apex control. Been waiting for them to go one sale... Now the Radion G6 comes out and I'm uncertain again.

I think 2 Neptune Sky or 2 Radion G6 XR30 would work very well for my tank but cost $$$.

Would 2 Radion G6 XR15 at about half the price provide enough PAR even for SPS at some point?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I run a large mixed reef;s) and utilize Orphek lighting and another- orphek and Noopsche

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that 2x xr30s will cover that area very well and you will be limited to mostly just under the lights with some areas that will only grow super-low-light stuff.

If budget is an issue, there are plenty of effective cheaper lights, but you lose the tech.

If apex stuff is important to you, then save up for the xr30s or the skys. I would suggest that you wait to see if the G6 are any good... lots of complaints and issues with the G5s nearing the 2 year mark and nobody knows what is coming for the g6 yet. For most, the neatness and fun of "control" starts to wane, so if you think that this might happen, then you can skip it and just buy lights without as much tech, but of course, there is not adding the tech later if you really want it.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like Radion G6's. I would put a budget in line with maybe 2 to 3 XR30's in mind depending on what you want to do. The spread is supposed to be allot better on the G6 so you could start with budget idea of 2 with the thoughts of a couple sps real high strategically placed in tank. Being 30" front to back the XR30 seems to be a better choice.

If down the road you run into shadowing due to the height placement of the lights, you could add a third if you got into sps allot.

OP
OP
M

MustaLine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! All really great replies, answered my question and created a few others.

Never thought I might need 3 sky or XR30. Would seem to completely rule out any XR15.

Also going to look at lower tech options. I'm a tech guy but don't find myself fiddling or the need to control after things are installed and working.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could also go with 2x orphek icon and maybe adding 2x or3 strips to them if you wanted any more par. Matters how much blue or white you are looking for as orpheks are in the whiter visual spectrum

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is also the option of 5x ecotech xr 15 or a combo of xr 15 and xr 30s. gen 6 will prob suit you best as you have a 30" wide tank
ex. 2x xr30 + 1x xr15. or maybe 1x xr30 + 2x xr15

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alternative to the 3x neptune sky, i think 2x ati straton might be nicer (i prefer whiter tanks)

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One simply has to look at how the most successful people are using these lights. I know this seems counterintuitive, but I think at this point we can mostly ignore manufacturer claims on long term useful coverage.

It may not always be realistic to expect to run your tank like a vendor, who typically have much deeper pockets, as well as actual staff to break up husbandry every day of the week. We can, however, imitate how they illuminate their tanks, and how the circulate they water. I don’t know of any vendors or even ultra successful hobbyists that run just two xr30 units over such a large body of water, no matter what they’re growing. I would start there. I think most successful people would run something more like 6-xr15 (3 front, 3 back) if focusing on primarily low light corals, or 5-xr30 mounted perpendicular if wanting the ability to put sps anywhere in the water column.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back