Mixing alkalinity solution

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some questions from a person who doesn't know much chemistry:

I was mixing an alkalinity solution in a gallon of ro/di water, I noticed the bottom of the jug got pretty hot. I'm assuming that is normal? Also, I got some of it on my hands and my skin started peeling off, so, maybe I should wear gloves next time?

Is there anything I shouldn't do when mixing this stuff? Like should I be using glass or plastic containers? I'm currently using glass. Should I mix it all at once, or should I add a cup of soda ash, mix it around, then add the rest?

Any tips/suggestions/cautions are more than welcome lol. Thank you!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some questions from a person who doesn't know much chemistry:

I was mixing an alkalinity solution in a gallon of ro/di water, I noticed the bottom of the jug got pretty hot. I'm assuming that is normal? Also, I got some of it on my hands and my skin started peeling off, so, maybe I should wear gloves next time?

Is there anything I shouldn't do when mixing this stuff? Like should I be using glass or plastic containers? I'm currently using glass. Should I mix it all at once, or should I add a cup of soda ash, mix it around, then add the rest?

Any tips/suggestions/cautions are more than welcome lol. Thank you!

The heat depends on the product used.

What did you add?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Zer0

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you made it to the recommended concentration (my DIY recipe), it should not harm typical plastic containers.

Some alk products may give a lot more heat, especially when made extra concentrated (such as sodium hydroxide).

FWIW, some products actually get cold when they dissolve, so it goes both ways. Table salt does that.
The recommended concentration on the packaging was 2⅓ cups of soda ash per gallon of ro/di. Is that correct?

paparoof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dump the BRS alk pouch into a gallon of RODI in the BRS plastic jug and shake the hell out of it. It gets warm, but not hot and then it all dissolves and cools down and everything is good.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Zer0

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always add the ash to the water, not the other way around... yes, that got pretty warm.

Fill the jug about 2/3 full, add ash slowly, top off with RODI and shake.
I dosed 1mL of the alk solution to my tank and solution turned white and clumpy, then dissolved about a minute later. Is that normal? Should I be dosing it in a high-flow area like the return pump section?

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed 1mL of the alk solution to my tank and solution turned white and clumpy, then dissolved about a minute later. Is that normal? Should I be dosing it in a high-flow area like the return pump section?
The precipitation is normal , yes. You should always dose into a high flow area... I dose in my return pump section. Make sure the end of the dosing line is above the water level as well. If that line is submerged the precipitate will clog the end of the line.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recommended concentration on the packaging was 2⅓ cups of soda ash per gallon of ro/di. Is that correct?

The exact volume of solid for my DIY will vary with the "fluffiness factor" (the bulk density) of the solid used. For BRS, they have adjusted the volume recipe to match that bulk density for their source of sodium carbonate. So yes, follow the directions. .

Back