Mixing Big Angels - Let's Discuss

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting close to finishing a pretty decent size (650) build. One group of my dream fish are the Holocanthus and Pomacanthus Angels. Obviously no absolutes can be drawn for compatibility but let’s talk?

how much trouble would I be asking for with this combo??

Imperator
Queen
French
Annularis

these are by no means set in stone! I love all angels and am very open to ideas. The tank would be set up with plenty line of sight breaks and hiding places.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to do better if purchased small like a juvie large. It's really just a roll of the dice. 650 gives you an above average chance though

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan is to by all in the 3-5 inch range. Will have a 300 gallon Rubbermaid in the basement filtration room that can be temporary plan B or fishy timeout.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a 525g w/ 165g sump/ref and as we speak I am drip acclimating a transition to adult emperor as well as a scribble both 4 1/2 inches. I hope to add another angel, possibly a goldflake although healthy ones are tough to come by. I am betting on success doing this but we’ll see. Plan B is allot of fellow hobbiest willing to house 1 or 2 until we either try again or sell....

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure it can be done. Check out 4FordFamily's 500G build thread. Those are all pretty sturdy angels. I have actually found with mixing angels that the more the better (like 6+), assuming you have a large enough tank like yours. It avoids the weakest one getting singled out all the time and spreads out the aggression. I would recommend adding them at the same time if possible.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedbac. The idea of having 6+ Angels is not a problem for me at all. Would you mind sharing your experiences? With the holocanthus and pomocanthus would you think adding gold flake, majestic, regal would be ok or are they too timid?
Sure it can be done. Check out 4FordFamily's 500G build thread. Those are all pretty sturdy angels. I have actually found with mixing angels that the more the better (like 6+), assuming you have a large enough tank like yours. It avoids the weakest one getting singled out all the time and spreads out the aggression. I would recommend adding them at the same time if possible.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedbac. The idea of having 6+ Angels is not a problem for me at all. Would you mind sharing your experiences? With the holocanthus and pomocanthus would you think adding gold flake, majestic, regal would be ok or are they too timid?
In the early 90's, I kept several angels in a 7 ft. 200 gallon fish only tank with a 100 gallon sump. As I recall, it included an Imperator, Blueface, Majestic, Queen, Chrysurus, Asfur and maybe an Annularis, along with some aggressive tangs (Sohal, Powder Blue, Purple). It was certainly overstocked and I would not recommend it today, but I found the aggression was much more manageable than when I tried to keep 2 or 3 angels together. With a large tank like yours, I think it could be done successfully. The only difficulty (other than maintaining a tank that size) is once the community was established, it was nearly impossible to add a newcomer unless it was much larger - especially with the tangs - so you need to plan well.

I never had any success with a couple of Regals. At the time they were thought to be heavily caught with cyanide and would rarely eat unless they came from the Red Sea. They are definitely weaker than the others on your first list, but I see people on this forum successfully mixing them with other aggressive angels. No experience with a Gold Flake, but I would fear they may struggle in that crowd. The Majestics are a little more shy and can sometimes be difficult to start eating, but once they are acclimated they can mix well with the others. It was one of my favorites along with the Imperator, Blueface, Queen and Asfur.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing that! My stocking plan is something that I have been giving tremendous thought. I have the capacity to add all "groups" in a the same time which will help. When I finalize my stocking list I will throw it up on my build thread as well as my proposed stocking order. I would greatly appreciate your feedback when that time comes!
In the early 90's, I kept several angels in a 7 ft. 200 gallon fish only tank with a 100 gallon sump. As I recall, it included an Imperator, Blueface, Majestic, Queen, Chrysurus, Asfur and maybe an Annularis, along with some aggressive tangs (Sohal, Powder Blue, Purple). It was certainly overstocked and I would not recommend it today, but I found the aggression was much more manageable than when I tried to keep 2 or 3 angels together. With a large tank like yours, I think it could be done successfully. The only difficulty (other than maintaining a tank that size) is once the community was established, it was nearly impossible to add a newcomer unless it was much larger - especially with the tangs - so you need to plan well.

I never had any success with a couple of Regals. At the time they were thought to be heavily caught with cyanide and would rarely eat unless they came from the Red Sea. They are definitely weaker than the others on your first list, but I see people on this forum successfully mixing them with other aggressive angels. No experience with a Gold Flake, but I would fear they may struggle in that crowd. The Majestics are a little more shy and can sometimes be difficult to start eating, but once they are acclimated they can mix well with the others. It was one of my favorites along with the Imperator, Blueface, Queen and Asfur.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 angels in my 720. I added them in two batches as juveniles. While they do have some minor spats from time to time they get along for the most part. It will be interesting to see how they get along as the larger angels mature. I would also agree that adding them as a group will be the best way to go to avoid individuals being singled out.

Emperor
Annularis
Blueface
Majestic
Flame
Coral Beauty

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @AlexG ! Happy to see the annularis is your list. I have always viewed it as a under rated fish!!!

also love your system!!

There is something about the annularis that just catches my eyes. The blue strips against the brown body really looks nice. Mine annularis is currently transitioning to an adult.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding several at a time is the key. I agree with adding relatively small. I recently had to sump my 10” passer as he was singling out other fish. I should have added more fish it would have fixed the issue but didn’t get around to it. Anyway, around 4-7 inches and several at a time is best. Same is true for mixing many types of fish.

I will have several holacanthus and pomacanthus (and others) together soon. Stay tuned :)

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have them all in my 500g (6x4x3) with no issues. The French chases one Morish Idol but that’s it.

Imperator 4”still juve colors
Queen 5” adult
French 5” sub adult
Annularis 3” juve colors

other angels (all small under 5”)
-blueface
-bluelines
-Pygmy angel
-flagfin
-coral beauty

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have them all in my 500g (6x4x3) with no issues. The French chases one Morish Idol but that’s it.

Imperator 4”still juve colors
Queen 5” adult
French 5” sub adult
Annularis 3” juve colors

other angels (all small under 5”)
-blueface
-bluelines
-Pygmy angel
-flagfin
-coral beauty

Attachments

• 09E7A1E3-D8B8-4FCC-BF27-9821E7A0FB20.jpeg
    09E7A1E3-D8B8-4FCC-BF27-9821E7A0FB20.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 0C81C876-FD9A-48F6-BD7E-6B4BE39A0B23.jpeg
    0C81C876-FD9A-48F6-BD7E-6B4BE39A0B23.jpeg
    259.8 KB · Views: 47

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back