Mixing different food together

Rpc07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so currently I have 6 different frozen foods I feed.
My 2 staples are pe mysis and lrs reef frenzy.
So I’ll either grab a cube of mysis and something else or a chunk of lrs and something else. My other foods include

-Rods coral blend
-coral gumbo
-cyclopods
-fish eggs

I’d like to defrost everything into a bowl mix it all together and then re freeze it back into cubes so I can grab 1-2 cubes at night and there is a mix of everything I like to feed. Is this advisable? Any negative effects?

Thanks for the help.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to thank you for feeding LRS! I made this post a little while ago in response to someone keeping thawed frozen food in the fridge for a week. It touches on re-freezing as well. I hope this helps explain the reasoning and have a great weekend!

"We do not recommend thawing any LRS food product and keeping it in the fridge for more than 1 day. If our food is thawed and kept in a refrigerator for 5-7 days it is on the verge of spoiling by the end of that period. Once frozen food is thawed the nutrients slowly start to degrade and things like beneficial lipids can oxidize and breakdown in a hurry. Refreezing can cause the food to break down as well due to the ice crystals which form during the slow, long freezing period that occurs in a residential freezer. Also, please bear in mind that when we produce our foods we have to delicately thaw 15 pound slabs of PE Mysis shrimp before folding them into our blends. If you thaw LRS at home and re-freeze it that means the PE Mysis has been thawed and refrozen a second time. Those tiny shrimp are gut loaded with beneficial nutrients which can be lost if their exoskeletons rupture from the repeated thaw/freeze/thaw, etc.

We've been producing foods for aquaculture facilities, researchers, and public aquariums for nearly 8 years. These facilities conduct daily food preparations so their fish and aquarium inhabitants get the freshest and most nutrient rich foods possible. We would advise that any time savings gained from keeping thawed food in the fridge or trying to re-mix and re-freeze multiple foods isn't really worth the risk and effort, especially with our foods."

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always make mixes in case I can't feed one night. I do the same with my dry food

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back