Mixing G4 and G5?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Krux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, quick question.

I have a tank that is currently running 2 XR30 pro lights, and was planning to buy a third one to put in the middle, allowing me to move the two I have outward for better light coverage. My lights are mounted on individual RMS mounts, and use diffusers.

Is the profile on the new G5 similar enough to the G4 that when mounted in a line, it wouldn't visually stick out too much? I see a new mounting bracket with the fan moving up top, but can't tell how much of an impact that has in dropping the light down from the arm.

Can I reasonably match the light to the two units on the left and right? I run the AB+ setting currently, but have not seen any shots of a G4 running along side a G5 for comparison. My hope would be that setting the G5 to AB+ and adjusting the intensity would achieve this?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I'm running G4s with diffusers and been thinking about adding G5s soon. As for trying to match them I'm sure the G5 pro would be easier to match than the G5 Blue. Personally I prefer the blue and would try to match the color to my liking if it comes down to it. The G5 diffusers wont be available till April according to most distributors.

To get an idea of how the G3, G4 and G5 look on RMS mounts check out the video in the link, at the 7min 30 second mark. They're compared side by side. The G5s look like they have the same profile roughly. The G5s appear to be a little slimmer. Hard to say for sure since the RMS mounts are known to sag. Maybe a slight difference on the profile but nothing major.

If I pick up some G5s next week I'll check back with an update.

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a new G4 to run with my 3 over my redsea 450XL, BRS sold out after i placed my order so they are sending me a G5 for the same price. I run the AB+ on my G4s and from what BRS said, for me and my set up the G5 blue would be best to match the colors, but that make sense being that the blue is geared for the AB+

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a new G4 to run with my 3 over my redsea 450XL, BRS sold out after i placed my order so they are sending me a G5 for the same price. I run the AB+ on my G4s and from what BRS said, for me and my set up the G5 blue would be best to match the colors, but that make sense being that the blue is geared for the AB+
Nice Score and kudos to BRS for hooking you up.

SyracuseMatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like they're significantly different lights. If you want a third, I'd buy a G4 used at a discount. If you're going to get a G5 to add to the existing G4s, I would run it on a separate program and really try to use a par meter to compare lighting levels across the tank.

Matt

charliethetuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any reports on mixing the 4 and 5. i have 8- g4 and would like to add 2 more .wondering if this could be done by mixing gen 4 and gen5 ...gen 4 are had to find

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 53 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back