Mixing Hawkfish species?

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is I’ll try to get the Flame in the 1.5”-2” range, and the Longnose in the 2.5”-3” range. Hopefully that should be fine. I need to ask my LFS if they have the Longnose in stock because last time I checked they currently only have the Flame. Are Hawks a difficult fish to get feeding?

They are simple to get feeding but sometimes only take frozen until they are settled before they begin eating flake and pellets.

They shouldn't cause any problems with your proposed other fish if you go for the flame and lnh. Other species can be more predatory and I've read by Dr ellen thaler, a fish behaviourist, that spotted hawks pair up and kill chromis as they come out of their coral heads. We need to remember that these are predatory species even if they are less inclined to kill anything we'd normally add to our tanks. The whole "they killed my cleaner shrimp" even when they wouldn't out of the reef is possibly more likely boredom than hunger. I think they are great fish and you don't really need to sacrifice much to keep them.

av8soulfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame hawks and longnose hawks are pretty mellow. The only truly punk I've had is the spotted hawk. I had to eventually trade it away for store credit.

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have two flame hawks together in my 200gal. One was added a few months after the other. Ignored each other for a couple months and now hang out together. No aggression at all.

mxreef887

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm looking to add a pair of Flames and a Longnose. Good to see there seems to be minimal issues. I think I will at least do a Flame and Longnose if I do not do a pair. I have a 225 Gallon.

asrfrgrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame hawks and longnose hawks are pretty mellow. The only truly punk I've had is the spotted hawk. I had to eventually trade it away for store credit.
lol I have a spotted hawk and I call him a little jerk he chased two clown fish out the tank, ate all my shrimp and smaller species. Other ones I see hide from him like he’s Bruce from Nemo. lol I had a Flame Hawk in my tank at work and he was so cool. I didn’t know mine was one with more attitude. I wanted to put a flame hawk in there but I don’t know if that’s a good idea. I’ve had my hawk for a year

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back