Mixing Problems with CORE7 BASE ELEMENTS 4X4L BULK KIT - TRITON METHOD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

hsingh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,
I recently got the bulk kit and mixed the 4 x 4L of solutions.Solutions 1 and 2 (Magnesium and Calcium) were fine and i have been topping up my Neptune DDR containers. But my 3A and 3B have been having issues.The first 1 liter in the DDR containers was fine, but then i found when i added more i started to get the solutions solidifying in the bottom of the containers (Both 3A and 3B). The only time i realized was when i saw my ALK dropping even though i was increasing dosing. Only way to liquify was to put energy back in i.e. broke the solids at the bottom of the containers and warmed the water outside the containers. As i was concerned, i put the DDR tubes directly into my solution containers (that were holding my reserve solutions) as they were not showing any signs of solidifying. So i left the original 3a & 3b in the DDR containers and again they are showing solidification?
What does not make sense is that after mixing all the solutions, i put them all in holding containers (old milk 5 gallon pvc containers - totally cleaned). Then i first added to the DDR containers and all was fine. Only when they were empty did i add some more. and its this second batch that seems to have had the solidification problem. Additionally the solutions in the holding containers are fine with no solidification (currently i am taking solution directly from them into the DOS). Any ideas on what could have happened? if it was mixed wrong then the first fill and the amount in the holding containers would have shown the issue

thanks

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,
I recently got the bulk kit and mixed the 4 x 4L of solutions.Solutions 1 and 2 (Magnesium and Calcium) were fine and i have been topping up my Neptune DDR containers. But my 3A and 3B have been having issues.The first 1 liter in the DDR containers was fine, but then i found when i added more i started to get the solutions solidifying in the bottom of the containers (Both 3A and 3B). The only time i realized was when i saw my ALK dropping even though i was increasing dosing. Only way to liquify was to put energy back in i.e. broke the solids at the bottom of the containers and warmed the water outside the containers. As i was concerned, i put the DDR tubes directly into my solution containers (that were holding my reserve solutions) as they were not showing any signs of solidifying. So i left the original 3a & 3b in the DDR containers and again they are showing solidification?
What does not make sense is that after mixing all the solutions, i put them all in holding containers (old milk 5 gallon pvc containers - totally cleaned). Then i first added to the DDR containers and all was fine. Only when they were empty did i add some more. and its this second batch that seems to have had the solidification problem. Additionally the solutions in the holding containers are fine with no solidification (currently i am taking solution directly from them into the DOS). Any ideas on what could have happened? if it was mixed wrong then the first fill and the amount in the holding containers would have shown the issue

thanks

To help you with answering this I need to know was the solids nearly clear crystals or more like white powder?

OP
OP
H

hsingh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To help you with answering this I need to know was the solids nearly clear crystals or more like white powder?
Hi Julian, the solids were nearly clear crystals. Strange thing is that the mixture that i had in my solution containers (as the DDR can only take 2 liters max) were and are still fine, where as the liquid in the DDR has again started to solidify with a clear tough layer at the bottom. So should i try and liquify it and dissolve it? I have been through several batches of the core 7 elements (at least 4) and not had this issue.

thanks

Tombones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this problem once as well. I only had a small amount in the storage bottle and added it to the dosing bottle. The next day I noticed the crystals on the bottom of the dosing bottle. I did not have much left so I just threw it out and mixed a new batch. No problems since then. I do premix the A and B together in the storage bottle.

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Julian, the solids were nearly clear crystals. Strange thing is that the mixture that i had in my solution containers (as the DDR can only take 2 liters max) were and are still fine, where as the liquid in the DDR has again started to solidify with a clear tough layer at the bottom. So should i try and liquify it and dissolve it? I have been through several batches of the core 7 elements (at least 4) and not had this issue.

thanks
What temperature is this happening at? We have reports of this happening at temp's around or below 15deg C.
If you continue to have problems with this particular batch then you can dilute it further with RODI water and increase the dose rate accordingly. For example you could double the amount of RODI and then double the dose rate for this component.
I hope that this helps.

OP
OP
H

hsingh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Julian, That might be the case indeed. The DDR were in a different location and I suspect temperature may have dropped a little. That can be the only explanation as this was the difference with the locations where the liquids were stored. I will now bear that in mind and put some insulation around the DDRs..

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back