Mixing Rabbitfish

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always loved rabbitfish and finally got my own foxface (bicolor) and I am absolutely in love with her. I know that conspecifics will fight, but I also know that for example in tangs they are usually okay as long as there is a different body style. Could I put another rabbit in my system provided it isn’t a foxface? Something like a gold spotted rabbitfish instead. Thanks!

Nezmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an established Foxface in a 125 and tried to add a blue-spotted rabbit, and it did not go well. The foxface won.
The gold spotted rabbit you mentioned gets quite large, so tank size could also be an issue. I personally believe everyone should have a foxface, they are super hardy, and can work in a peaceful or aggressive system. It probably would work out better if you introduced them together, but I'd be nervous about adding another unless it was a big enough system. There really isn't much of a difference in body style with rabbits, mostly different colors.
I'd say it would be risky, but that's just based on my own experience, I just keep one rabbit per tank, myself.

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an established Foxface in a 125 and tried to add a blue-spotted rabbit, and it did not go well. The foxface won.
The gold spotted rabbit you mentioned gets quite large, so tank size could also be an issue. I personally believe everyone should have a foxface, they are super hardy, and can work in a peaceful or aggressive system. It probably would work out better if you introduced them together, but I'd be nervous about adding another unless it was a big enough system. There really isn't much of a difference in body style with rabbits, mostly different colors.
I'd say it would be risky, but that's just based on my own experience, I just keep one rabbit per tank, myself.

I’ll just keep my one foxface then, thanks for the advice and experience. Shame they are aggressive like that with other rabbitfish, I absolutely love mine and will never have a tank without one again.

Nezmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shoot underwater video and have observed many species of rabbit fish in the wild. The adults always seem to be in pairs, and the pairs usually are doing their own thing. Many people don't realize how big they get since you usually just see the juveniles in the aquarium trade. The foxface is one of the smaller ones, and I've had them go over 8 inches. I've always had algae on a clip, and the foxface, in particular, will tear it right up. If you want to keep yours happy, give her algae to eat daily. On the reef they are constantly grazing.

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shoot underwater video and have observed many species of rabbit fish in the wild. The adults always seem to be in pairs, and the pairs usually are doing their own thing. Many people don't realize how big they get since you usually just see the juveniles in the aquarium trade. The foxface is one of the smaller ones, and I've had them go over 8 inches. I've always had algae on a clip, and the foxface, in particular, will tear it right up. If you want to keep yours happy, give her algae to eat daily. On the reef they are constantly grazing.

I make sure there’s always nori, though she’s not very aggressive in picking it off the clip just yet. I guess she has to get used to it

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I call my Scribbled Rabbitfish "George". The name evolved from Ravenous Rabbitfish, to R.R., which made me think of George R.R. Martin, who is quite large. My "George" destroys nori on clips. Then steals every other scrap of food it can get to. At the LFS he was happily swimming around with another Scribbled and I was tempted to get both, glad I didn't - they'd eat me out of the hobby.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nezmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface only ate the nori that had fallen off the clip after a day or so, until I got an algae eating sailfin blenny that liked it so much he slept on it. Once the foxface saw the blenny scarfing off the clip, he couldn't leave it alone. Now he waits while I take it out and refill it and pounces before the blenny notices it's refilled. Once yours' sees it as a source for her grazing instinct, you should be golden. I have a huge golden spotted rabbitfish in another tank that will demolish a full sheet of nori before I can leave the room! It's pretty savage to watch!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back