Mixing Red Sea Foundation Mg Powder (Part C)

BradVol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Mg powder and tried mixing it for the first time last night. I put 600g (measured on a scale) into 1L of RODI water. I heated the water to a warm point but below boiling before adding the powder in. I tried adding a bout 150g at a time and mixing.

I cannot get the solution to mix. I keep stirring it and every time when I stop a slurry forms in the bottom of the solution with most of the mix in it, I assume. Then I stir it and hear this cracking or popping noise from the mix, which is really odd. A few minutes later the slurry is back at the bottom. It stays milky white.

I’ve stirred it many times and had it in the mixing bowl for over 12 hours now. The instructions don’t say to use heat, but I thought that would only help. I’ll be frustrated if I wasted most of the container.

Did I do something wrong? Is the mix salvageable? What can I do to get this mix usable and how to I prevent it in the future? Should I put it in a kitchen aid mixer and let it just run for a while to try to get it mixed up?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Brad

The red sea magnesium does that its like a milky colour and settles at the bottom but its fine to dose.

I asked the same question to red sea support a few years ago

I always warm the water up for the magnesium and alkalinity powder mixes as well

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back