Mixing Station Temp Control

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a 20 gallon station I keep in my garage with a pump and heater that I generally keep 50-75% full, for water changes. With the temperatures in NJ in the mid 20's I'm having a difficult time keeping the temp above 70, even with a heater rated for 2x the water volume. Do I need a more powerful heater, or is there something else I should be doing to maintain the temp? Thanks in advance!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may consider wrapping the outside of the storage container, limit the circulation of the water, and maintain a top on the water container which could all help with maintaining the heat.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it either needs more heat or better insulation. I wonder if you put some styrofoam around the outside of the tank and covered the top (probably with more styrofoam) if it would hold the heat better. Ideally you would probably want to have it sitting on a piece of styrofoam too.

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may consider wrapping the outside of the storage container, limit the circulation of the water, and maintain a top on the water container which could all help with maintaining the heat.
Great a advice, I appreciate it! I do have it covered, but not wrapped. What a dummy I am, I just re-did my bathroom and threw out the leftover insulation. Another lesson learned!

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it either needs more heat or better insulation. I wonder if you put some styrofoam around the outside of the tank and covered the top (probably with more styrofoam) if it would hold the heat better. Ideally you would probably want to have it sitting on a piece of styrofoam too.
Thanks Brett! I think you're right, as there is no insulation currently. I have some styrofoam from the holiday gifts, so I'll definitely try that. Thanks again!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great a advice, I appreciate it! I do have it covered, but not wrapped. What a dummy I am, I just re-did my bathroom and threw out the leftover insulation. Another lesson learned!

No worries! Now you have a plan to make improvements - good luck!

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thin styrofoam won't help as much as you probably need it to. If it were me, I'd pick up a sheet of the really thick pink stuff at HD/Lowes and make a box out of it. Put the mixing station inside, and you'll be good to go!

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I actually gave basically a whole bundle of that away 2 weeks ago. Oh well, I'll run to Lowe's and pick up another. I appreciate the help!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back