Mixing wrasses green bird and sunset?

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a sunset, banana, lime green wrasse (Thalassoma lutescens) and would like a Birdfish Green Wrasse (Gomphosus Caeruleus). Can you keep these together?
Would be in a 160 gallon RedSea XXL750.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a sunset, banana, lime green wrasse (Thalassoma lutescens) and would like a Birdfish Green Wrasse (Gomphosus Caeruleus). Can you keep these together?
Yes and green bird is quite peaceful and active and quite the eater

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually we would say no however, with the wrasses you currently have you could potentially do it. Gomphosus is not a peaceful genus and will take out small elongated fish so be warned with that. Specifically, I would expect small gobies and other species woth a body shape like Stongobiops and Amblyeleotris species to be taken out. A 160 gallon is rather long and it will potentially suffice long term however just be warned that it could outgrow the tank eventually (I doubt it would but their activity may cause it to outgrow the tank).

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HankstankXXXL750 Did you end up putting these fish together? What size are the two and how did it go, if you did?

@vetteguy53081 I ended up giving my lfs the go ahead to rehome my tang (it was hard but I really feel its the best thing) and I guess my trigger jumped out of their tank during the night. They offered to give me credit to get other fish. I was considering a male banana wrasse or an adult red coris wrasse. What are your thoughts for either of these with my bird wrasse? The banana wrasse that was on their list was a L (5.25" - 6.25") Male. They havent seen any red coris on the list yet.

I want to do my research before I decide anything and found this thread so any feedback either of you can provide would be appreciated! Thanks!

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@HankstankXXXL750 Did you end up putting these fish together? What size are the two and how did it go, if you did?

@vetteguy53081 I ended up giving my lfs the go ahead to rehome my tang (it was hard but I really feel its the best thing) and I guess my trigger jumped out of their tank during the night. They offered to give me credit to get other fish. I was considering a male banana wrasse or an adult red coris wrasse. What are your thoughts for either of these with my bird wrasse? The banana wrasse that was on their list was a L (5.25" - 6.25") Male. They havent seen any red coris on the list yet.

I want to do my research before I decide anything and found this thread so any feedback either of you can provide would be appreciated! Thanks!
I ended up not getting the bird wrasse as a broomtail became available. So don’t have any info for you at this time.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Red coris super pretty but will warn you, it will flip rocks and frags all day in search of food and worms. Banana is a glut with feeding otherwise nice fish

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red coris super pretty but will warn you, it will flip rocks and frags all day in search of food and worms. Banana is a glut with feeding otherwise nice fish
@vetteguy53081 Would they be compatible with my green bird? I would love to have all 3 but not sure if that would work in my 180. If not, which do you think would do better with my bird?

I'm a fowlr so the flipping shouldn't be a problem.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@vetteguy53081 Would they be compatible with my green bird? I would love to have all 3 but not sure if that would work in my 180. If not, which do you think would do better with my bird?
Yes although Green bird may annoy it at first and thats a May, not always

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 39 22.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back