Mobius VorTech Child mode

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the maximum speed slider do in child pump programming? I have the parent pump using 3 different modes with different maximum speeds set over 24 hours.

I would like the child pump to simply follow what the parent pump is doing.

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The slider sets the maximum flow level, inherent to the parent. For example - if the parent is set at 50% (say 750gph), and the child is set at 100%, then the child's flow level will run at 100% (750gph) of the parents maximum speed. If you lower the slider of the child, it will run at an X% of the parent, and not the pump itselfs maximum, as if it were standalone.

If you want the child to follow the parent, set the child to 100% to match the gph of the parent.

Someone else will need to confirm on this - but I believe if you want the second pump to mimic the first pump - you're seeking Child + Sync @ 100%.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The slider sets the maximum flow level, inherent to the parent. For example - if the parent is set at 50% (say 750gph), and the child is set at 100%, then the child's flow level will run at 100% (750gph) of the parents maximum speed. If you lower the slider of the child, it will run at an X% of the parent, and not the pump itselfs maximum, as if it were standalone.

If you want the child to follow the parent, set the child to 100% to match the gph of the parent.

Someone else will need to confirm on this - but I believe if you want the second pump to mimic the first pump - you're seeking Child + Sync @ 100%.
That makes sense.
Thank You

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Spot on - thats the way ive always believed it to work - You could test this by setting child to 100% and having a look at what Mobius says the pumps are both running at, tells you the GPH of eahc pump now.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feeling we may be wrong with what we thought.... I put my pumps in a master, child
Relationship and almost matching the power outputs to 60-65% made them both push almost the same GPH.... by seeing that I’m now thinking The child power is set to individual pumps themselves, not a percentage of the masters

Image to show what I mean-pumps running as a master to child, both set to 60% - 65% and both pushing around 2500 GPH.... if the child was being set to 60% of the masters 60% I’d expect to see the child pushing a lot less GPH

C48905FB-0D58-4C39-A4ED-F5446DFA02DF.png

20701271-78A9-4269-8719-AD640608FCF1.png

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a more controlled test.

Set the parent to constant speed @ x amount percent.
Note what the Parent's GPH is.
Set your child to 100%, sync, and gather what the child's GPH is, while it's also in constant. It should match the parent.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a more controlled test.

Set the parent to constant speed @ x amount percent.
Note what the Parent's GPH is.
Set your child to 100%, sync, and gather what the child's GPH is, while it's also in constant. It should match the parent.
Sync matches like for like, it’s anti-sync that doesn’t seem to be too clear...

I see what your saying but don’t think it needs a more controlled test, both pumps were just a few % out of each other...and the way they perform should be really obvious in anti sync mode

if anti sync truelly was a child’s power is a % of the master then at any given time 1 pump should be pushing high GPH whilst the other low GPH always surely. Ie the child should be pushing 60% of 60% but it was almost matching.

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your initial post, I understood "I want the child to simply follow the parent" as the child mimic the parent, gph to gph. I am reading your post above, and if you're referring to anti sync - then yes, anti sync is a % of the pumps power, not relative to the parent.

Sync:
Parent @ 50% = 1000gph
Child @ 100% = 1000gph
or
Parent @ 100% = 2000gph
Child @ 50% = 1000gph

vs.

Anti-Sync:
Parent @ 50% = 1000gph
Child @ 50% = 1000gph
or
Parent @ 75% = 1500gph
Child @ 25% = 500gph and vice versa

Is this more aligned? Fwiw, I think this is best clarified by their support, perhaps reach out to them?

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now the parent pump is set to 33% and the child 100%. Both are indicating 2069gph.
That is what I want them to do.
I am not sure the slider does anything in child mode and is only there because it appears on all mode screens.
Changing it does change the percentage shown on the circulation screen but it doesn't seem to do anything to the gph indicated.

It is somewhat silly that companies put out this stuff with zero documentation or any kind of help accessible in the app.

I was somewhat concerned that the pump would take off and run 100% at some point. That would probably make a mess of my tank.

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here anti-sync does not work with my two MP40 pumps. I configured everything correctly, but the child pump always stops during a mode change, rattles and throws off the wet side. I checked everything and I just don't find any errors on my site. everything worked perfectly before mobius!

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the new firmware (2.2.5) and still anti-sync does not work. as can be seen from the picture, a mode change only took place with a pump (master - Blue ). the child pump stopped shortly afterwards and had to be reinitialized. really annoying .. i will probably switch to tunze pumps, because the firmeare made my two mp40s useless .. thanks ecotech!

A23B2154-D819-46E7-AB60-FA158F51E36F.jpeg

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your initial post, I understood "I want the child to simply follow the parent" as the child mimic the parent, gph to gph. I am reading your post above, and if you're referring to anti sync - then yes, anti sync is a % of the pumps power, not relative to the parent.

Sync:
Parent @ 50% = 1000gph
Child @ 100% = 1000gph
or
Parent @ 100% = 2000gph
Child @ 50% = 1000gph

vs.

Anti-Sync:
Parent @ 50% = 1000gph
Child @ 50% = 1000gph
or
Parent @ 75% = 1500gph
Child @ 25% = 500gph and vice versa

Is this more aligned? Fwiw, I think this is best clarified by their support, perhaps reach out to them?

I confused the OP's post - Thought we were talking about ANTI-SYNC not sync, OP never mentioned ANTI SYNC, was me by mistake......

Sync seems to work fine, all pumps match exactly as is - Set parent to the power you want and all child's to 100% to get the exact same matched flow as the master.

Whereas antisync seems to act odd.

Anti-Sync:
Parent @ 50% = 1000gph
Child @ 50% = 1000gph
or
Parent @ 75% = 1500gph
Child @ 25% = 500gph and vice versa - If we raised this to 75% it would then push 1500GPH too? Isnt that just sync mode?

Ive always understood parent sets the maximum flow all pumps attached to it can do - Childs percent is then a percentage of that max. But it doesnt seem to be acting that way.

Parent @ 75% = 1500gph
Child @ 100% = 1500gph - 100% of the maximum 75% value

Would definitely be better explained by support but Its interesting hearing other peoples views on something that should really be simple.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running my child pumps in anti sync. It is working correctly.
On my big tank I run MP60s at 100% on both pumps all the time.

On my small tank I run the parent MP40 at 20%, 33% and 40% over 24 hours. No matter where I set the child pumps power slider it doesn't match during some part of the day.

As I said I have set it to 100% now and seems to be doing what I want.
2020072306162109-iOS-Upload-File-52244883-M.jpg

All 4 pumps got a firmware update this morning

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 mp60s, one is the parent, 3 are set to child. Out of those 3 children 1 is sync and 2 are anti sync.

Because I want the children to be exactly opposite or exactly the same, they're set at 100%. For sync if the parent is at 80% then the child is at i0%. For anti sync if the parent is at 80% the child is at 20%. Note for me I rub them in gyre mode and they work exactly as they should.

Although I haven't experimented, I wonder if you're looking at the numbers for flow on mobius vurses what the actual pump is physically doing? Wonder if it's simply a display issue or an actual bug in the software.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sync and anti sync have nothing to do with what I am asking. There refer to how 2 pumps relate to each other in time and not power.

sync
Pump 1 on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off
Pump 2 on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off

anti sync
pump 1 on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off
pump 2 off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on

My question is if I have a pump running in fast pulse 30% from 12am to 7am Nutrient transport 40% from 7am to 5 pm and gyre 20% from 7pm to 12am.

When I attach a child pump to it all day I have to set the power setting slider. It shows the same value all day.

Does the power setting slider do anything on the child pump?

Now that I have given it closer attention it doesn't seem to do anything. I had it set at 40% to match my highest daily value. I can not look at a VorTech and tell you if it is running at 20-30-40%.

Since I set it to 100% it is obvious it is not running at 100%.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sync and anti sync have nothing to do with what I am asking. There refer to how 2 pumps relate to each other in time and not power.

sync
Pump 1 on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off
Pump 2 on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off

anti sync
pump 1 on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off
pump 2 off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on

My question is if I have a pump running in fast pulse 30% from 12am to 7am Nutrient transport 40% from 7am to 5 pm and gyre 20% from 7pm to 12am.

When I attach a child pump to it all day I have to set the power setting slider. It shows the same value all day.

Does the power setting slider do anything on the child pump?

Now that I have given it closer attention it doesn't seem to do anything. I had it set at 40% to match my highest daily value. I can not look at a VorTech and tell you if it is running at 20-30-40%.

Since I set it to 100% it is obvious it is not running at 100%.

I thought that this was already answered, @tsouth explained it rather well. The "power setting slider" does matter, it sets the child in relation to the parent. If the childs "power setting slider" is set to 100% then it will mirror exactly the parent. If the parent is running at 50% then the child is running at 50%. if the parent is running at 75% then the child is running at 75%.

When you set up a parent/child relationship the child is subordinate to the parent, it does exactly what the parent does, the slider gives you the power to set the percentage.

To keep it simple, if for some reason you want the child to run half the output of the parent, then you set the "power setting slider" to 50%. then if the parent is running at 80% the child is at 40%.

Now with your scenario:

NO, you don't have to go in and change the "power setting slider"

If the child "power setting slider" is set at 100%" then from 12am to 7am the child will be running fast pulse at 30% (100% equal to the parent)

from 7am to 5 pm the child will be running on Nutrient transport 40% (100% equal to the parent)

and from 7pm to 12am the child will be set to gyre 20% (100% equal to the parent)

And to drive the concept home.
If the child "power setting slider" is set at 50%" then from 12am to 7am the child will be running fast pulse at 15% (50% equal to the parent)

from 7am to 5 pm the child will be running on Nutrient transport 20% (50% equal to the parent)

and from 7pm to 12am the child will be set to gyre 10% (50% equal to the parent)

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well mine weren't working that way. Then the pump group decided to stop communicating this morning. So I repowered them.
Now they do work as described.

Just something to keep in mind.

Evaaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having this issue as well.
I have 4 MP40s installed, 1 set as parent and 3 set as child (1 sync 2 anti sync).
This seems very much like the Radion issue where the G5's would lose sync. My Mp40's during the day all end up running different modes and timing and I have to keep hitting resume schedule to get them doing what they are supposed to.

Most of the time the child's do not change modes with the parent and just continue running the last mode they were on.
I have 4 mode cycles throughout the day and every morning I check the pump all are in different modes.
Running
Radio 4.2.10
Radio Bootloader 1.3.0
Product O2 2.2.5
Product Bootloader 1.1.0

5E3ABAB6-8E4D-4F39-96EF-3AAF826126DC.jpeg

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having this issue as well.
I have 4 MP40s installed, 1 set as parent and 3 set as child (1 sync 2 anti sync).
This seems very much like the Radion issue where the G5's would lose sync. My Mp40's during the day all end up running different modes and timing and I have to keep hitting resume schedule to get them doing what they are supposed to.

Most of the time the child's do not change modes with the parent and just continue running the last mode they were on.
I have 4 mode cycles throughout the day and every morning I check the pump all are in different modes.
Running
Radio 4.2.10
Radio Bootloader 1.3.0
Product O2 2.2.5
Product Bootloader 1.1.0

5E3ABAB6-8E4D-4F39-96EF-3AAF826126DC.jpeg
I figured mine out. It was a bit strange. On the child pump edit screen drag the child pump program down and see if another mode is under it. Mine had Lagoon mode 75%. I deleted that program and then expanded the child mode to cover 24 hours again. The flow immediately went back to what it was supposed to be and it hasn't screwed up again. Actually the sliders don't even appear now to set the time for each mode on the child pump. The pump seems to have hit that tiny time period for lagoon mode once per day at midnight and then stuck there so it was blasting every morning when I got up.

Repowering or syncing the pump fixed it once a day.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back