Modifications to RocketEngineers DIY Stand design

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for opinions on making modifications to what is referred to as Rocket Engineers DIY stand design. Would definitely appreciate @RocketEngineer chiming in.

I am building next to an open stairway in limited space so want to put a vertical tower on the right side of the 4x2x2 tank. Will also be adding a custom canopy over the tank the tower height will match top of canopy. Essentially I am trying to make a free standing peninsula stand.

Questions:
  1. Can the 2by ring joist be on the inside of the vertical full height support instead of the outside? What I am thinking is making the vertical full height piece part of the frame for the tower. Similarly on the other end would do the same for supporting the canopy.
  2. Does the outer dimension of the tank go to the outer edge of the ring joist or is it centered on the ring joist?

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best I can tell you is follow the weight. Where does it exert downward pressure and make sure that’s not supported by screws. If you look at the original design the weight is transferred from wood piece directly to wood piece.

What vertical full height support?

Maybe draw out what you mean and post it.

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best I can tell you is follow the weight. Where does it exert downward pressure and make sure that’s not supported by screws. If you look at the original design the weight is transferred from wood piece directly to wood piece.

What vertical full height support?

Maybe draw out what you mean and post it.
Per the plan often used I am wondering if the green members can be on the outside instead of the inside. It appears there purpose is tiring red yellow and pink into one cohesive unit. I am considering using a 2x6 to lap the pink joint and the red/yellow joint. It would also then be tall enough to support the cabinet tower on one side and the canopy on the other. I hope that explained it better

I also want front access to the sump so if 2x4 upper ring do I need a center support on a 4 foot tank or should I plan on using a 2x6?

1628908562812.png

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green do nothing either than help you build it. I believe the instructions say you can even take them off. They aren’t carrying any weight.

I used a 2x6 for my 4’ build for the yellow and red. No center support either vertical or horizontal.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding where the rim rests: I prefer to keep it near the center as 2X material has rounded corners so I would have the rim entirely in the flat part of the board vs dealing with the round part.

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
71BBC8D1-DABC-4719-8955-8BF4DA86EA2B.jpeg
You mean like this? Yes, that’s acceptable. (Old picture FYI).
Yes something like that. Thanks for the graphic, what program do you use for drawing? i see only single pink members on this version instead of the double opposing ones which may have been why mine wasn’t working out quite right. It also gives a little more room for openings.

Will be putting 3/4” plywood down for tank to rest on (Aqueon 120 Reef Ready, rimmed), that way the plywood should keep it mostly level without a lot of shimming. But would still prefer to center that keeps the tank away from the edge a bit.

My canopy won’t be tied to the frame, I am going to try and build it with actuators so it will go up and down for feeding and maintenance. Will use this as a base to start with. Thanks again, hand draftsman so will put up some sketches in a couple of days for critique.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back