Modified API Test Results

ndmccain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

After seeing a post about Dan_P’s modified API ammonia test. I decided to give it a try since I’ve been getting the .25 Ammonia reading on API for a month now (my tank is six weeks old and has 0 nitrites and 10-20 Nitrates). I’ve tried the Seachem Ammonia test to compare and the results very. The modified API is below. I now it means there is Ammonia present since it’s a pale blue. I was hoping someone could help interpret how much? Thank you!
IMG_5608.jpeg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

After seeing a post about Dan_P’s modified API ammonia test. I decided to give it a try since I’ve been getting the .25 Ammonia reading on API for a month now (my tank is six weeks old and has 0 nitrites and 10-20 Nitrates). I’ve tried the Seachem Ammonia test to compare and the results very. The modified API is below. I now it means there is Ammonia present since it’s a pale blue. I was hoping someone could help interpret how much? Thank you!
IMG_5608.jpeg
How did you modify the test?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I would add: you thought api .25 meant something was broken or bad about your cycle? surely you’ve read about the reading nearly everyone can expect with api, it’s all over the boards for 20 years.

at six weeks wait, the only way you can’t be cycled is if that’s just water and rocks and sand sitting there. If you did any type of feed, and or bottle bac, your cycle is done and no type of testing is needed at all.

OP
OP
ndmccain

ndmccain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used bottled bacteria (Stability) and did a fish in cycle (I did a water change every other day so they were safe).

I just want to make sure, since I’ve had the .25 to 0 to .50 colors all within a couple of days.

Last edited:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used bottled bacteria (Stability) and did a fish in cycle (I did a water change every other day so they were safe).

I just want to make sure, since I’ve had the .25 to 0 to .50 colors all within a couple of days.
Just to clarify......changing the water every other day during a cycle is counter productive....you are removing the ammonia that is needed for the cycle. That is why most do not use fish. I agree with @brandon429 though........it has been long enough (with added bacteria) that the initial cycle is complete.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The three drops of each regent with the mixing in between.
We can’t rule out a false positive with the modified version.

With all the water changes you did, you are likely to have a weak nitrifying bacteria population. I am skeptical about the nitrate test results since you did not add any ammonia. The zero nitrite reading in this case might not be indicative of a successful cycling. Also, bottled bacteria do not settle and form a biofilm quickly. The water changes removed some of the bacteria.

Since you did a rather unorthodox cycling procedure, go slow with stocking fish and keep an eye on the ammonia. It is a very easy thing to be careful.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a picture of this reef tank so we can see the surface area, the rocks, that sat among water for six weeks while being fed and carrying life successfully after being dosed with water bacteria

Two standout markers for old cycling science are fear based warnings that have no searchable threads for the stated fear. The warnings are perpetuations from only words, but not searchable outcomes anyone relaying the fear ever actually saw

Anyone reading: post a link from a thread you saw, participated in, where at week six of carrying fish and fish food and bottle bac and rocks the cycle wasn't done. Don't just Google up someone's api reading and claim that, use a thread you actually worked to completion as the example

I have a counter link against that claim:

That's food alone, no bottle bac and no fish, fully preparing a reef tank by week 4. When we add in fish the whole time it went even faster than 4 weeks.

Ok now let's see the null hypothesis link for this thread. That's any thread ever posted on the site of a bioload- carrying reef tank at week six that isn't cycled.

The impact of partial water changes to this cycle was 0%, because no link from a reef tank is going to be posted.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old cycling science will never be simply resolute about the closure of a cycle.

You'll get a list of why water bacteria directly added to water might not have set up shop. You'll eventuality be led to buy more bacteria thinking the first round died

We'll see a doubt about completion warning included 100% of the time in old cycling science threads.

By contrast here's new cycling science, scan these pages for any doubt:

See the stark contrast between new and old cycling science? You've been warned about ammonia control which can't be an issue now, but immediate disease import is simply unmentioned for the life of the thread.

We counted to day ten as the sole marker for each tank. This thread here today is on day 45 ish.

How many times in those forty pages did we stammer on a cycle close date

How much focus have we put on fish disease prevention?

If your pics show no rock used that's a problem. But if you have rocks in this mix then your cycle has been done for weeks. Your stock rate isn't controlled by limited ammonia control, it's set by your disease control protocols

Last edited:
OP
OP
ndmccain

ndmccain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5605.jpeg

The nitrites where in the light purple (.25) range for a while and just recently (last couple of days) turned 0. Nitrates have been in the orange (10-20) for awhile.

Live rock from LFS and the bagged live sand.

Bacteria was dosed with each water change as well.

Great to know no more testing is needed (and less water changes)!

Thank you all for your input.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your cycle was ready day one

We all thought, assumed, you did dry rock. I'm lucky and thankful you used any rock at all :) as two recent cycle threads worked took a while before the keeper bothered to mention they used no rock at all

Those posts were why I changed my signature line jokes.

Partial water changes were never going to affect your cycle even if it was a dry rock start. In this particular case, 100% changes twice a day wouldn't have harmed the cycle.

What an api test kit says, used in any iteration, has 0% bearing on where a cycle stands=updated cycling science.

OP
OP
ndmccain

ndmccain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your cycle was ready day one

We all thought, assumed, you did dry rock. I'm lucky and thankful you used any rock at all :) as two recent cycle threads worked took a while before the keeper bothered to mention they used no rock at all

Those posts were why I changed my signature line jokes.

Partial water changes were never going to affect your cycle even if it was a dry rock start. In this particular case, 100% changes twice a day wouldn't have harmed the cycle.

What an api test kit says, used in any iteration, has 0% bearing on where a cycle stands=updated cycling science.
Nice, great to know! I assume everyone used rock and such so I didn’t think to initially mention it.

I never understood the whole appeal of bare tanks, especially saltwater and reef. Don’t you want it to look and act as natural as possible?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, great to know! I assume everyone used rock and such so I didn’t think to initially mention it.

I never understood the whole appeal of bare tanks, especially saltwater and reef. Don’t you want it to look and act as natural as possible?

I found it very annoying when self appointed gurus started touting sterile rock and just bacteria cultures for cycling. There's no way the ecosystem is going to be anything close to what corals expect. See Aquabiomics article.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious to know if any lfs employees told you live rocks need cycling bacteria purchased @ndmccain

When you studied tank cycling, did you see any sources or articles that discussed complete skip cycling?

I've never seen any updated cycling science articles to relay that option.

The only cycle training out there is from bottle bac salesmen or old cycling science

OP
OP
ndmccain

ndmccain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious to know if any lfs employees told you live rocks need cycling bacteria purchased @ndmccain

When you studied tank cycling, did you see any sources or articles that discussed complete skip cycling?

I've never seen any updated cycling science articles to relay that option.

The only cycle training out there is from bottle bac salesmen or old cycling science
The employees didn’t tell me anything about needing bottled bacteria. I know some BRS videos about starting a reef tank say to get some (they recommended Dr. Tim’s One & Done). I think I came across the one I used (Stability) when Googling what I needed for a reef tank and read that if you follow their regiment than you can add fish right away (like with API Quick Start and such) which is why I got it and followed the regiment and added fish (and my fish never seemed in distress).

The only skip cycling article I saw was the post you made on this forum. I didn’t think it applied to me.

I use bottled bac for my freshwater aquarium so figured it would do good in a saltwater as well. As far as I know you can’t have too much good bacteria.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nicely said. agreed to all, I just check occasionally w new cycles to see if they were able to find any formal training on skip cycling/articles etc other than our web posts. neat setup, threw us for a loop I was expecting a dry start/those are 98% of all cycles it seems

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back