Modifying Bubble Magus skimmer

Mika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I have a new project with 241G tank and 74G sump and 26G refugium.
So there may be 300G of water and I have a few years old Bubble Magus Curve C7 skimmer.
BM-CURVE 7
DESCRIPTION
MODEL : BM-CURVE 7
Pump : ROCK SP2000
Power : 220V/110V ,16W
Air intake : 520L/H (water 2500L/H?)
Size :235*200*530MM
Capacity :700L -900L (237G)
BF9F85E7B6AAE2DE90F6798618ED4FF289105946.jpg

I am trying to figure out if I could modify that skimmer by taking the Rock SP 2000 pump outside of the skimmer and take the bubble plate lower.
I think that it is best if I drill a hole in skimmers bottom and use use a pipe to connect the pumps outlet. Maybe some kind of neck to that bubble plate would be a good idea?

This mod makes the skimmers internal length taller and maybe gives more efficient skimming performance. I think that the skimmer body is too narrow for a more efficient skimmer pump. Or is it?

What do you think. Can it be done with original pump and does it do its job after modification?
Can this be done without problems?

Last edited:

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This issue I see is if you do that you will lower the bubble level in the skimmer to that of the water exit tube, this will allow a larger number of micro-bubble to exit the skimmer and make their way into the DT.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This issue I see is if you do that you will lower the bubble level in the skimmer to that of the water exit tube, this will allow a larger number of micro-bubble to exit the skimmer and make their way into the DT.
That is what probably will happen if I dont install some kind of neck on bubble plate.

FourZeroEight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isnt that skimmer too small for your tank? Cause i have the same skimmer for my 55 gallon tank (14 gallon sump) with a medium bioload. Mostly fish and 2 pieces of coral: xenia's and a torch coral?! I forgot what it was called.

Dorkymk3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That skimmer is definitely under size for your tank. But before you modify the skimmer. What is your water level your skimmer is set at? Maybe have your skimmer sit about 7" below surface.

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can modify to have the external pump. BTW, the skimmer is too small for your tank.

FourZeroEight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or maybe just remove that red cap from the side, and use that as the entry way from the pump you plan on using externally so you dont have to drill any holes.

I had a CADLights skimmer that took a dump on me before, and i had the pump from a NAC7 laying around. All i needed were a few pvc pieces to make it work. I'll snap some pix for you once i get home

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back