Modular Aquascapes for Maintenance & Moving

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at trying to create a modular aquascape in my upcoming build because I know that I will be moving within the next year or two, and I want to prepare for that now.

What types of rock and/or structures are best for setting up a system for success during a future move? I have chosen some options that I think would help, but I'd love to get your thoughts, photos, experiences, or anything else that you think is valuable to those of us that have a move in the future.

Below are some of the options that I have thought of:
  • Islands
  • Structures such as those at West Mariculture
  • Low-profile (~1/3 of the height of the tank)

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the structure that I am currently working with, but I am not sure whether I am satisfied with it:

IMG_0513.JPG
IMG_0514.JPG
IMG_0515.JPG
IMG_0516.JPG
IMG_0517.JPG

I went with this structure because it's about 1/3 of the height of my upcoming tank. It also gives me enough room for maintenance and it should be easy to lift out of the tank and set into a container of water during a move.

Last edited:

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have set up before knowing I'm going to move or swap tanks soon, and in my case I build structures using acrylic rods, that way I can lift the entire structure and soak it in a brute trash can.
I keep brutes for WC's and they also double as holding or transport vessels.
Yours w/ all that tonga might not be best for rods, but maybe zip ties and bonding, and if you are bare bottom or shallow sand then perhaps an acrylic sheet or starboard/cutting board bottom might help lift structure out.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the stick rock incorporation.

If I may suggest, gluing it up with stone fix, getting a grinder with a diamond blade and cutting the hole scape into three sections. The cut joints should fit together nicely. One can temp the joints with epoxy the break them apart when moving day comes. In the new tank use the stone fix for a more ridge joint since the stone fix can be used under water.

Back