Modular Marine Plumbing

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of plumbing for a modular marine overflow. How do you typically plumb a bean animal style overflows?

Should I get a gate valve a ball valve and then leave one channel open for the emergency?

I see some people plumb a gate valve on 1 drain, a ball valve on the other and keep the other open.

Why a ball valve and not 2 gate valves?

Last edited:

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of plumbing for a modular marine overflow. How do you typically plumb a bean animal style overflows?

Should I get a gate valve a ball valve and then leave one channel open for the emergency?

I usually do one lower in the box with a strainer, which has a gate valve for creating a siphon. Another higher one in the box, also with a strainer, to set the water height inside your box...this will just have a trickle after setting your siphon line correctly. The 3rd is an emergency drain, above your water line and leave enough clearance for water to flow into it.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually do one lower in the box with a strainer, which has a gate valve for creating a siphon. Another higher one in the box, also with a strainer, to set the water height inside your box...this will just have a trickle after setting your siphon line correctly. The 3rd is an emergency drain, above your water line and leave enough clearance for water to flow into it.

So do I need a ball valve in addition to the gate valve or just a gate valve?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I spoke with Trent from Crystal Dynamic Aquarium builder in Oceanside, he stated that the main drain has a ball valve and the secondary has the gate valve, he tunes it with the gate valve. I have to put my Modular Marine overflow on my tank.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I spoke with Trent from Crystal Dynamic Aquarium builder in Oceanside, he stated that the main drain has a ball valve and the secondary has the gate valve, he tunes it with the gate valve. I have to put my Modular Marine overflow on my tank.

That’s interesting. I’m trying to understand why you would need a ball valve on anything. It is my understanding now that for a Bean Animal (Modular Marine), you only need a gate valve on your main siphon and the other 2 with no valves.

I am getting ready to plumb my Modular Marine this weekend.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is an extremely unusual way of plumbing a drain setup... as mentioned above the usual way is gate valve for fine tuning on the main drain and no other valves are really needed. I did add ball valves on my BA setup so I could remove the plumbing if needed for cleaning purposes and to check to make sure the emergency features worked properly. But nothing related to the drain operation...

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could text Crystal Dynamic in Oceanside and they use the modular marine overflow in most of their tanks so they are very adapt to using. them.

shookONES

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m a huge fan of soft plumbing. IME, it’s quieter and easier to mess with down the road, if the need arises. I’m also a fan of these MM overflows. The construction and design is leagues better than the competition. The only noise that comes from this setup is the subtle sound of water falling ~1” in the ‘in-tank’ overflow box. I’ll remedy this with a piece of coarse sponge when motivation strikes HAHA

03385E98-1064-4677-A1D4-3BDF0CB609E5.jpeg

shookONES

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And inside the box. Main (siphon) drain has no stand pipe, just a strainer directly on the bulkhead. I found a durso for the secondary drain to be the quietest. The emergency is just a tall piece of PVC.

8D7AF718-213F-428A-A60C-A15C3CF4DFBD.png

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And inside the box. Main (siphon) drain has no stand pipe, just a strainer directly on the bulkhead. I found a durso for the secondary drain to be the quietest. The emergency is just a tall piece of PVC.
I was thinking of doing exactly this. I’m not sure why I see so many Bean Animal overflow configurations with U-style plumbing on the main drain. It seems that a simple strainer would work well.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running a 36” MM overflow for a couple of years. I had it modified to run multiple siphons, but the basic operation is not conceptually different than a standard bean. Main siphon has a screen in the bulkhead at the bottom of the external box, but no pipe or U tube. It has a gate valve down at the sump to adjust flow. Secondary does have a U tube inside the external box so that I can set the water level. I did put a ball valve on the secondary right under the tank, because i initially found it useful as a way to test the emergency. I almost never use it though. I did oversize the stand pipe in the external box above the emergency bulkhead to ensure that the box could never overflow. No valve of any kind on the emergency.
9BEA904A-E67E-4817-BEB5-3B64143B865D.png

shookONES

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was thinking of doing exactly this. I’m not sure why I see so many Bean Animal overflow configurations with U-style plumbing on the main drain. It seems that a simple strainer would work well.

It doesn’t make much sense to me either. Siphons work best with as straight flow as possible. Why purposely force the siphons to zig-zag down a U pipe under full siphon is beyond me.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purpose of the U tube on the siphon is to help prevent an air vortex. In some cases that may be useful, not in others.

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping it simple. Left is the trickle, center is the emergency, right is the siphon. Gate valve to control the siphon with just a strainer in the box. Simple 45 degree elbow with a strainer on the trickle, and a coupler on the emergency near the top of the box.

6E689891-00F4-4184-A6D0-7FE308028787.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back