Mold in RODI canister

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was out in the garage filling up my top off container when I noticed a bunch of mold growing in one of my rodi canisters? Never heard of this being a thing. What cause this and can be done to prevent this on the future?

IMG_0322.jpeg

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong but it might more likely just be some type of algae growth if exposed to enough light considering the water in the sediment filter should still be chlorinated to some degree.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know but I might take the canister down to the city/county water department and ask them what is in the water supply?

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May or may not be mold.

If your system is exposed to even medium light, especially from a window, throw a towel over it or close the window shade.

You'll want to replace that sediment filter and probably a good idea to sanitize your system as well.

Russ

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the two canisters I don’t see algae (light promoted) growth. It looks more like mould or the low oxygen bacteria that is commonly found in sewage contaminated waters. It could be a human health hazard and I encourage the op to take precautions to protect the water supply that this filter is running on.

Hopefully I am wrong.

OP
OP
InvaderJim

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know but I might take the canister down to the city/county water department and ask them what is in the water supply?
I’m on well water so that’s not really an option.
May or may not be mold.

If your system is exposed to even medium light, especially from a window, throw a towel over it or close the window shade.

You'll want to replace that sediment filter and probably a good idea to sanitize your system as well.

Russ
The system is in my garage on the back hall. It doesn’t get any sunlight other than what comes in the garage from it being open. I will definitely replace and sanitize my unit.
Looking at the two canisters I don’t see algae (light promoted) growth. It looks more like mould or the low oxygen bacteria that is commonly found in sewage contaminated waters. It could be a human health hazard and I encourage the op to take precautions to protect the water supply that this filter is running on.

Hopefully I am wrong.
It’s straight from my well. I’ve been planning on adding a whole home water softener I just haven’t gotten around to it. Hopefully that would help

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a little known item: It's good practice to test residential well water at least annually for the presence of E. coli and Coliform bacteria. Oftentimes this testing can be had for free at your County Health Department.

Russ

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back