Monster Emerald Crab?

Guy Cesario

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for an Emerald Crab to molt 3 times in 6 weeks and for them to start tearing into my coral frags? Help..
I am kinda new.
24d99bd4bd4743f548a8c17353d0318e.jpg

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal? Nope. Never heard of that. Did you have a crazy Algae Problem they solved? Have you created a new SuperEmerald Crab? If they begin cracking glass, get concerned.
It might be time for banishment to the sump.

OP
OP
Guy Cesario

Guy Cesario

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal? Nope. Never heard of that. Did you have a crazy Algae Problem they solved? Have you created a new SuperEmerald Crab? If they begin cracking glass, get concerned.
It might be time for banishment to the sump.

I've had two major algae flare ups, this dude eats non stop...

He is now absolutely massive.

I wish I had a sump..

I'm hoping to work out a solution.

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not reef safe. It is not uncommon for them to eat coral. I wish people would stop selling them as "reef safe".

SalinFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you could buy a mantis shrimp to take care of your crab problem [emoji4]
Ohmygoodness never ever ever get a mantis shrimp. I had one once for a week, named him appropriately Dr Lecter after finding my clown fish "skin only" and promptly returned him to the store.

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a GIANT emerald crab that I noticed would use his massive claws to try to snap at fish swimming by (he just wasn't very fast, so it wasn't much of a threat).

Now I put a piece of seaweed in daily and all my critters will come pick at it, then the big guy comes and attacks the seaweed and takes the whole thing. It seems to satisfy him though and he's so peaceful and chilled out now.

IMG_0633.JPG

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had huge guys in the past. Currently my largest is maybe 1.5"body. My largest ever was huge like a 2" body. My current guy has a red mushroom growing on his back. Very funny! All mine have been good, in any tank I have them. Lucky I guess. I would try to get a pic, but he is very cryptic. Saw him after I moved some rocks.

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohmygoodness never ever ever get a mantis shrimp. I had one once for a week, named him appropriately Dr Lecter after finding my clown fish "skin only" and promptly returned him to the store.

It was just a joke [emoji6]
Assume everybody knows these are killers only, not reef animals. If you get one for a reef without research, you deserve what you get.

Back