Montipora Cap bleaching?

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that one mixes to around 10-11 dkh right? So a 20% water change would raise your dkh by about .6. A couple of those will get you dkh in the 8s in no time

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes exactly. I am prepping water for a change tomorrow. After turning lights down and using fluconazole, to kill bryopsis, I'm now getting an algae breakout. Looks like brown hair... :(:(

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's ok. The brown hair algae will go away in time. It's all part of having a new reef. Soom your cyano phase will happen. Don't freak out. Clean the tank and change water every week to keep things in check. Biology will do the work

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to address something that may have slipped by; if the new reagents for the test are showing roughly 7.0 dKH compared to 9+ previously, it's likely that the alkalinity was one or the other and not related to consumption. Neither reading is better or worse than the other but the issue now is, which one do you believe?

As for Reef Crystals, it typically mixes up around 13 dKH (regular Instant Ocean is approx 10.5). 15% water changes with RC typically raised my dKH by .3 so it isn't enough to be concerned with in regard to fluctuations that cause problems but can make dosing a pain.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 25 g water change today and got the dkH back up to 9.2 with Hanna & Red Sea Pro, to confirm Hanna.

Will keep my eyes on it and watching tank ugliness too... :(:(:(

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never expected to see that kind of drop. Like I said, it was steady at every test since October 14th above 9. Tested every 4-5 days. Wasn't till just the past Friday that it had dropped like that. I was complacent thinking it was stable and waited 6 days to test that time. I had to wait an extra week for water change because of Fluconozole treatment. I figured I'd let it run it's full 21 days before changing.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back