Montipora Not Colorful

Lago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I got a montipora last week from my job and after placing it into my tank the color dulled out in the center. The rim still glow's but the center had turned to more of a dull purple-ish color. This has been going on for about a week and it hasn't been speading to the edges. Also the coral definitely had grown within the week so I don't think it should be too much of a concern. I just thought that I should post to be safe.

I was wondering is this normal to occur with newly added monti's? My guess is that it's adjusting to the different lighting.

Parameters:
pH: 8
Alk: 10
Salinity: 1.025
Calcium 400
Mag: 1450
NO3: ~10ppm
PO4: 0.1ppm

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Higher light PAR typically brightens colors while lower PAR can make them "brown" out due to an influx of zoox.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Short answer, probably due to th difference in lights, yes. Especially if it's growing and acting healthy.

OP
OP
Lago

Lago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer, probably due to th difference in lights, yes. Especially if it's growing and acting healthy.
Alright sweet, as for the exact PAR values I don't recall exactly what they were, I got to find my note sheet. But worst case I'll bring in the PAR meter from my work just to be safe. Thanks.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Different nutrient and Trace element levels can also cause some color shifting in SPS corals, but again, if it seems healthy I wouldn't worry too much. Montis are fairly resilient.

I had some Montis color shift going from my 75 to my 125 under the same light, same distance from the coral. They're doing fine, just slightly different color.

OP
OP
Lago

Lago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update: The montipora began to degrade and the center became bleached; however, I was able to save the outer edges as I researched further into it and began dosing potassium nitrate into the tank. So far PE has returned also on top of color beginning to come back.

OP
OP
Lago

Lago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and PAR was the at similar levels from the tank I got it from being around ~150

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've read that potassium can be a contributing factor in Montis degrading so it makes sense. Are you testing potassium?

OP
OP
Lago

Lago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that potassium can be a contributing factor in Montis degrading so it makes sense. Are you testing potassium?
I wasn't before (I know don't add until you know what it is) but I was doing half doses as to what the instructions suggested for a week. I also figured if I raise it high but slowly it should be fine after watching Justin Credible's video about elevated potassium levels his tanks run higher than 700 ppm from what I recall. But I can say my levels were < 400 ppm according to my red sea test kit bc that was the reading I got the day the kit came in.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back