Montipora trouble

robert serafino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My acropora grow like weeds. Montipora starts off good then the polyps recied. The only one that looks goog is the beach bum. Sal is 1.025 phos 0.088 nitrate 10 alk 8 cal 468 mag 1290. I Don't see any pests and do not have any fish that pick. Been in the hobby for 40 years never had this much trouble with montipora. Any ideas

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said you don't see any pests... I'd still recommend checking the montis after lights out to see if you can see and monti eating nudis. I found them on one of my montis and had similar issues. Dead spots, poor growth, etc.
They are hard to spot, as I'm sure you know... that's the one thing that has caused me the most issues with montis.
Flow and stable parameters are important, but after 40 yrs, I'm sure that's not an issue. One thing I noted is the low mag, 1400 is where I have mine.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, those bugs are too small for my ancient eyes. I always take stuff into my buddy and the LFS and he says; "Look right there!" I always repliy; "Tell me what you see, because I can't see anything. "

Pretty Little Liars Thank You GIF by The Paley Center for Media

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Phos a little high ( <.04) . Has light or flow changed? As you may know, montipora is not as resistant to stresses like changes in water temperature or water chemistry. With coral bleaching, once the process starts it is difficult to stop the process and is often caused by water temp getting too warm, drop in lighting intensity causing coral to lack photosynthesis to produce zooxanthellae and also verify you dont have Low Mag levels..

Back