Montipora

Brycen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I was wondering if montipora would be a good coral for a newer tank? If it’s beginner friendly? I’ve heard both that it is and isn’t and really need some guidance from some SPS lovers. THANKS!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which kind of montipora? Most are forgiving and easy as long as parameters are stable and in range. Some are more challenging like beach bum and other montis like that. Simple monti caps and digitata are pretty bulletproof ime.

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am NOT at all an sps guy or very experienced at that. My tank has only been running a little over a year now, however, my wife just HAD to have this rainbow monti. I was hesitant mostly because my tank is high nutrients (nitrate 10, phos 0.20-0.30), but it was on sale for $16 so I thought what the heck.
Almost 6 weeks later it's still putting on great, very visible growth nearly daily and retaining it's color for the most part.
It's kept in 250 par and moderately high flow.
Assuming your tank isn't brand spanking new, go for it.

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no. Though montipora digis and monti caps can be considered forgiving and “easy” they are still an SPS, which require stability. A newer tank will not likely maintain stable parameters necessary for those beautiful hard corals. Again, this is just my opinion .

OP
OP
B

Brycen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which kind of montipora? Most are forgiving and easy as long as parameters are stable and in range. Some are more challenging like beach bum and other montis like that. Simple monti caps and digitata are pretty bulletproof ime.
Awesome thanks man. I’m not really sure it’s a mystery package from world wide corals. Think I should give it a shot?

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in a monti digi and cap at like 2 months with my first tanks. Both are still going well and growing at 2.5 months later. I think it depends on you. Do you test daily or every other, do you do water changes weekly or dose properly etc. it seems a lot of this is mainly up to the tank keeper (baring obvious things outside your control)

OP
OP
B

Brycen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in a monti digi and cap at like 2 months with my first tanks. Both are still going well and growing at 2.5 months later. I think it depends on you. Do you test daily or every other, do you do water changes weekly or dose properly etc. it seems a lot of this is mainly up to the tank keeper (baring obvious things outside your control)

OP
OP
B

Brycen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome man! I’m extremely busy with work and all, but I do my best to regulate everything. I’ve stuck to more LPS, Softies, and Zoanthids. I don’t know if it would be the best idea to go to SPS. really appreciate the comment and I’m glad it’s going well for you!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks man. I’m not really sure it’s a mystery package from world wide corals. Think I should give it a shot?
I would. My most recent tank has been running less than two months and I have multiple types of montis including ones that most people say ‘wait a year’ to add. They are all doing great. If you know you have the proper flow and parameters I don’t see why it wouldn’t be worth a shot from a mystery pack.

TalkinTangie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The other thing I like about the encrusting montiporas, like many other corals of course, is how you can put it on some live rock and it will spread over the rock. The rock essentially becomes the coral and vice versa. Super cool way to get growth and make the tank as natural as possible! Good luck again!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does your coralline look? If ubiquitous, as others have said, try a red monti cap

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does your coralline look? If ubiquitous, as others have said, try a red monti cap
coralline isn’t always a good teller as I’ve had some fish eat it and I have gone months wondering what I was doing wrong. I’ve also seen urchins eat it.

Also, for the OP;
Months are generally easy, I have 4 species in my tank. A spoingodes, ‘Cap’, Digitata and one I don’t know the species of.
True Capricornis aren’t in this hobby to my knowledge however any of the ones labelled as a cap are generally easy and constantly growing.
Out of all my SPS in the tank, the 4 months are the easiest with my 3 seriatopora coming in 2nd place.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back