Moonlight setting on AI Prime HD

Luke Burns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my Prime HD and am loving it. I copied a setup online that seems like it will be awesome but it doesn’t do anything overnight. The way I understand it is that you set the max setting you want on the lights and then can turn on the lunar cycle to sync it with the moon. What does everyone do for moon lighting?

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my Prime HD and am loving it. I copied a setup online that seems like it will be awesome but it doesn’t do anything overnight. The way I understand it is that you set the max setting you want on the lights and then can turn on the lunar cycle to sync it with the moon. What does everyone do for moon lighting?

My night lights from about 9:00 PM until around 11:00PM are around 4%. At 11:00 PM they are completely off until about 5:30am when they start to ramp back up. I don't use the thunderstorm cycle at all really unless its to play around when I am there.

OP
OP
Luke Burns

Luke Burns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are it just using the violet spectrum? I have mine set to 7% and then letting lunar run from 9pm to 8am

Dennis McGrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received mine on Friday, but I'm using the David Saxby profile that I changed slightly for a more gradual ramp-up and ramp-down, with the lunar function turned on.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are it just using the violet spectrum? I have mine set to 7% and then letting lunar run from 9pm to 8am

I have been using just blue at 4% for night lights.

I wish the profiles could be started and stopped at different intervals to give more of the impression of a sunrise and sunset. It would be a cool feature if all your AI's run the same schedule but you would space the ramp up and ramp down by maybe 15-20 min (sort of like a sunrise and sunset).

I have always been a halide + T5 guy and I thought I would give LED and halides a try. TBH the LED's have cool features there is no question, but visually halide + T5 gave the tank the look I liked best; I also got better coral growth as well.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1% blue from 9pm to 9am

OhDumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just keep my UV on at 2% as it's the dimmest. The blues are too bright for my taste at night. I never tried the moon settings because of the minimum to use it is already too high for my taste. I never go full dark because I have lost fish jumping at night. For some reason keeping a little light on at night has stopped the suicide missions.

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1% Violet from the time the Saxby preset shuts off straight through until it comes back on again. I chose 1% violet because it the dimmest comewhat "normal" night lighting the units can put out. It's still pretty bright when the room is dark though! It seems to work. Corals close up and clownfish go to "bed" behind the powerhead, so I know it's not disturbing anyone.

Last edited:

Ryan Marriott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the BRS setting then 5% royal on the lunar setting, I tried the blues but just wasn't liking it. I have only had the light for a couple weeks but I do enjoy it

Dennis McGrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to see if there's a way to do a FTP connection to the Prime. If so, having the computer manipulate the AIP file would be fairly easy and then could be FTP'd to the Prime to adjust the profile schedule.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back