Moorish Idol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Despite changes in industry and new technology, Feeding/diet is still the key challenge. They die not from tank husbandry but rather from diet.

OP
OP
DeepSeaIllusions

DeepSeaIllusions

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have decided to give a negative advice to my client on adding the Idol. Yet I think that we can still keep on discussing about them.

So if feeding is that essential and them feeding on sponges even more so.... Does that mean that these fish more or less should be added to an established reef aquarium with different sponges growing in it? Is this the way to secure a better chance of success?

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just conjecture, but I would expect them to run out of sponge pretty quickly in a confined system.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming it is sponges they need so badly in order to survive long term, then I would think a mature aquarium is a must.
Although, the public aquarium I live near that has had theirs for 2 years give or take, has VERY minimal live rock in the tank, plus it's locally collected rock so it doesn't have the sponges naturally found on the reefs.
Where I live the waters are too cold for tropical species to survive in. They come down on the EAC that finding nemo made famous and get trapped here and die off in a matter of weeks or months. They come down around this time of year and die off around Easter. So they don't have a "natural" diet (in terms of what is found on the reefs) in the waters down here, so I'm unsure as to whether sponges play as large of a part of their diet as people seem to think. We obviously do have sponges down here, but they're temperate sponges, not tropical, so they're clearly different species. I don't know how much of a difference that makes, just something to consider.

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here is my viewpoint, the hobby has advanced by leaps and bounds. Keeping the moorish is much easier than it used to be, but still a challenge. THe fact that so many people know now that they eat zoa speaks volumes. Back when I was looking at one, no one knew for sure what they ate, but they did well in dirty tanks, so they were thought to be a dirty water fish. turns out they just liked the sponges.

landshark777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some fish were never meant to be contained in an aquarium...I reckob

OP
OP
DeepSeaIllusions

DeepSeaIllusions

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of the day no fish is meant to be kept in an aquarium/or tight space. But people wanted to have them and that's how things started. Thank God they did otherwise we wouldn't have a hobby. Let's just hope we can do the best we can to give them a comfortable life.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I strongly suggest the Heniocus (AKA) Banner butterfly, not as sunning but similar in appearance and very hardy as well as good community fish.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to disagree, to an extent. Liveaquaria does okay, but they still deal with a large volume of orders and animals. Problems can easily be overlooked. Also, I do believe they list Moorish Idols as expert-only, which means they will not honor the usual guarantee. Nicewrasse takes good care of his customers, from what I hear (I have not yet ordered from him, personally.)

Eienna,

I respect your opinion but I would like you to take a look at some information I found from the live aquaria site. It appears that they have some procedures in place that drastically improve the survival rate of their fish that I find impressive. I think we can agree that a Morish Idol falls under the delicate species category. There is more information on their site if you are interested.

"Quarantine and Observation Period
The quarantine period for each fish ranges from a minimum of two weeks to several months for more delicate species. Throughout the quarantine period, all of the fish are monitored closely, with particular attention to breathing rate, swimming behavior, and overall appearance and demeanor. Once the fish have passed a thorough inspection, they are ready to be acclimated and moved into our main fish system."

I do not expect any vender to guarantee a Morish Idol.

Last edited:

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eienna,

I respect your opinion but I would like you to take a look at some information I found from the live aquaria site. It appears that they have some procedures in place that drastically improve the survival rate of their fish that I find impressive. I think we can agree that a Morish Idol falls under the delicate species category. There is more information on their site if you are interested.

"Quarantine and Observation Period
The quarantine period for each fish ranges from a minimum of two weeks to several months for more delicate species. Throughout the quarantine period, all of the fish are monitored closely, with particular attention to breathing rate, swimming behavior, and overall appearance and demeanor. Once the fish have passed a thorough inspection, they are ready to be acclimated and moved into our main fish system."

I do not expect any vender to guarantee a Morish Idol.

I don't suppose anyone SHOULD guarantee one, I'll give you that.

I guess I've just seen more posts on DOAs and fish showing up with things like ich from Liveaquaria. Then again, that may just be because they sell so many fish - the rate could be perfectly good. I don't know.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this thread. A lfs near by has great success getting his morish idols eating. Just seen a video of them eating flakes then frozen Mysis.

Orchidcrazy1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you how to keep them alive I have had mine for four years I feed them baby food varieties of vegetables but it's all I can sayP.m. me if you want the recipe to keep yours alive

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one for a few years. IME they get less aggressive as they get older, when it comes to eating food. But that doesn't change the food intake they require. Hence, they need a large, trouble free tank, to thrive, IMO. A large tank, where they are the main centerpiece fish (rightfully so) is perfect.

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have ne info to add. But i would. Like to say i admire your care for your client rather then saying sure thatll work and stiffing them with a bigger bill for that +100

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see some pics or video

OK....

Back in 2011:
IMG_0756.jpg

Now: Sorry, lots of fish in the way...

15007373677_8f4d2d68b0_z.jpg

babyjess210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Fish collection you got!!!! Here is one that I am QT for my buddy and very aggressive eating of nori and frozen...no pellets yet.

B5316E61-7DC3-4531-BD4C-09BF54A6D865_zpsxfjvwmq6.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back