Moorish Idol

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who has the best prices and quality Moorish Idols for sale? Yes, I know there hard to keep and that is not what I am asking. Thank you.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see them for $70 - $90 pretty much at any online or local fish store. I don’t think they are nearly as challenging as the used to be. I have two and they are fat and eat anything. Not sure if it’s better collection practices or what but there are a few that have been for sale at my LFS for about a month and they don’t have any issues keeping them either. Theirs aren’t as fat as mine but I feed at least 5 times a day. I’d order from live aquaria or saltwaterfish.com because of their warranties if you can’t find one locally.

OP
OP
67chevellemalibu2

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liveaquaria doesn’t have them and saltwaterfish is out of stock. My LFS carries the same old boring stock. Every once in a while some Blue Star Leopard’s.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liveaquaria doesn’t have them and saltwaterfish is out of stock. My LFS carries the same old boring stock. Every once in a while some Blue Star Leopard’s.

Can’t you ask your LFS to order you one? If not I’d be patient and wait for one from a site with a good warranty.

But saltwaterfish.com has them. I just added one to my cart. Free shipping as well. A little overpriced but the free shipping makes up for it.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NYAquatic has them for $49.95. Ridiculous to charge $81 Fedex overnight. Thanks anyways

Yea, their shipping is usually high if you aren’t close to NY. That is likely their actual cost to ship though and their fish prices are almost always the lowest. FedEx and ups overnight prices are crazy. Even with the big discounts they give to companies that ship a lot of packages I don’t know how some of these online retailers can do it giving out free or even low priced shipping. Especially with liveaquaria giving free shipping on $99 and saltwaterfish somehow doing free shipping at $75.

I used to ship a fair amount of reptiles and I got a pretty good discount with fedex but even with packages weighing 2-4 lbs I was paying $60-$100 for shipping and of course every customer expected free shipping.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
saltwaterfish and fishy business use the same wholesaler - Sea Dwelling Creatures. Although the cost of the fish is slightly cheaper at FB ($93 vs $100), after shipping, SWF is cheaper (they have free shipping above $79). SWF has a 15-day guarantee on all fish (including MIs), whereas FB only provides DOA guarantee on MIs.

I recently tried out a MI from SWF. It came it extremely skinny and not able to swim correctly. It was vertical and upside down. It died a few days later. To their credit, SWF promptly honored their guarantee.

Whisperer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefbeauties.com has them for $67 med size and $39 shipping
Buy 3 :D
saltwaterfish and fishy business use the same wholesaler - Sea Dwelling Creatures. Although the cost of the fish is slightly cheaper at FB ($93 vs $100), after shipping, SWF is cheaper (they have free shipping above $79). SWF has a 15-day guarantee on all fish (including MIs), whereas FB only provides DOA guarantee on MIs.

I recently tried out a MI from SWF. It came it extremely skinny and not able to swim correctly. It was vertical and upside down. It died a few days later. To their credit, SWF promptly honored their guarantee.
In addition, SWF has box charges and tax.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition, SWF has box charges and tax.

Even with the box charges and tax, it still comes out cheaper than FB and has a 15-day guarantee for the same fish you would be getting from FB.

OP
OP
67chevellemalibu2

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, their shipping is usually high if you aren’t close to NY. That is likely their actual cost to ship though and their fish prices are almost always the lowest. FedEx and ups overnight prices are crazy. Even with the big discounts they give to companies that ship a lot of packages I don’t know how some of these online retailers can do it giving out free or even low priced shipping. Especially with liveaquaria giving free shipping on $99 and saltwaterfish somehow doing free shipping at $75.

I used to ship a fair amount of reptiles and I got a pretty good discount with fedex but even with packages weighing 2-4 lbs I was paying $60-$100 for shipping and of course every customer expected free shipping.

I don’t know how sellers on EBay and Amazon can offer free shipping. $81 to ship is a deal breaker for me.

awwinterfall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. So I wasn't the only one having issues with their Moorish idols.

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check our Mermaids Cove in the Chicago area. They have several that are eating frozen foods. I bought my MI from them and it’s doing great, except he ate all my Z0as. They sell them for $55 for a medium

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give reefbeauties a shot. Might have better luck buying from a smaller company than one of the big guys that are just drop shipping. When I got my regal they sent me a pic of the exact one I would be getting. They were kept in individual cubes though. Not sure if the idols would be kept individually.

OP
OP
67chevellemalibu2

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check our Mermaids Cove in the Chicago area. They have several that are eating frozen foods. I bought my MI from them and it’s doing great, except he ate all my Z0as. They sell them for $55 for a medium

In Channahon?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 16.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 55 44.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back