OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably used between 6 and 7 lbs of salt. I measure out the first 3lbs and then added over the next two days until I got it right.

Just picked up a 5.5 gal aquarium for my ATO container and a sheet of acrylic that I'll be cutting to make a lid for it.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO container done!

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1442182206.078322.jpg

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a Tunze ATO. I as well, just want to pass on some important info. It has two settings per the instruction manual. One is 1.8 mins before it trips (stops before overflow) and 3 mins. 1.8 mins is .42 gallons and 3 mins is .80 gallons of refill until a hard reset. Reset can be a power failure. I know you have 5.5 gallons of overflow. If you have your Biocube waterline set at Max anything over 3 gallons will put water on the floor. I keep mine at 1.8 mins and have no more than a gallon of refill. This will prevent any possible overflow power fault or otherwise. Also do not let your return hose submerge in water as it will cause a vacuum and have your tank flow back into your reservoir.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info however I have even less as I'm running a high water mark since in the 2nd chamber I'll be running a fuge with Chaeto. To combat the power failure scenario I have all the power to the tank hooked up to an APC 1000 UPS. Given the fact that load is minimal I would expect anywhere between 30 to 45 mins of battery time before a power failure. Enough time in most circumstances to get home to unplug everything. The end of the tube is noting the water.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plug spliced back together and shrink wrapped on my Hydor Koralia 565 pump that's inside my RO/DI fresh water holding tank. Have some flow in there now to help keep the water fresh.

My RO/DI water has a strong smell of the purple primer used to glue all the PVC together. Anyone think this is going to be an issue?

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day one after the shrimp was added to the tank..,

Ph - 8.0

Nh3/Nh4 - 0

No2 - 0

No3 - 0

S. G. - 1.025

Temp - 78.9f

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1442292574.112103.jpg

How often should I be testing at this point? I also didn't peel the shrimp. I just threw it in frozen in a pair of **** knee highs knotted shut.

Last edited:

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine ammonia should start hitting day 5-7. Problem with the shrimp is keeping a consistent ammonia level. Testing would be every three days. Key is don't change anything if things aren't working as you think they should.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet unfortunately. Won't be here till next week. The one and only shipped today but says it won't arrive till Friday next week. I'm a little concerned only because the directions say to keep it refrigerated to prolong shelf life.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received Dr Tims Ammonium and One and Only today. I put in 29 drops of Ammonium... I forgot to subtract from the rock ... Hopefully not above 5ppm... *smack self in forehead*

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got zero ammonia readings out of the Dr Tims... Even after testing again 24 hours later... So I picked up another shrimp and its in the tank... So I'm waiting.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back