More / better pics- worm?

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Crabs McJones hoping you can assist. I posted pics previously and a couple thought this might be aptasia. I'm not completely convinced as I cannot find any images of aptasia that look like this, or are this large. I do have 2 large spaghetti worms, is it possibly a baby spaghetti worm? Some other tube worm?? What are your thoughts? Don't want to assume it's aptasia and kill a good guy...
20200604_165757.jpg
20200604_165806.jpg

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is aiptasia. If it’s originally from the live rock you got, good news is they don’t spread so fast. I was successful with peppermint shrimp a while ago but it can be hard to get the specific kind that eat them. I’m getting ready to put superglue on a frag that I just received with one aiptasia. That looks like a good spot to fill with super glue gel and then cover in epoxy just for good measure.

OP
OP
Anihiel1

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock is QTed in a bucket right now, so easy enough to just cut that whole piece off and toss it. Do y'all think I should toss the entire rock just in case?

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely looks like Aiptasia. I had one much larger that I killed recently. We are talking a 1.5 inch long stalk and a head with a diameter of a quarter. Was hiding in behind one of the rocks in my tank, so I never noticed it until it was large enough to see the tentacles up above the top of the rock.

Mjhatley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% aiptasia. And they can get really large. I had one the size of a half dollar once

OP
OP
Anihiel1

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing they can get that large! I hadn't seen one in person previously, thought they were small hydroid size. That's why I thought it must be a worm. Wow. So glad for R2R and all the experts here!
The rock was easily cut so I just discarded that whole section. Uncovered a large purple finger sponge & a small conch in the process so I'm calling it a win! :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back