More plumbing questions (remote sump)

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

So my tank is about 13’ above my equipment room.

The gate valve for the siphon drain: Right off the tank bulkhead, in the basement right next to the sump, or it doesn’t matter? It’s going to be a PITA to tune it a floor up and a 3 minute walk to my sump. I’ll need to FaceTime with my wife or something.

Union or union ball valves for the drains right off the bulkheads? Straight union for the e-drain and valve union for the return? Normally I’d go Unions but once again, long walk if I need to shut things down. There’s an Apex panel next to the tank for killing the return pump but I won’t be able to stop the drains if I just use unions.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine near the sump in the basement. Once you get it dialed in, it’s pretty static. You will have to tune from time to time but I’ve gotten good at knowing how to adjust the flow based on how much is coming out of my e drain.
There are times where based on the flow you will hear noise near the gate valve. I wanted it to be dead silent in the room with the DT so having it in the basement accomplished that.
Straight union for the e drain and union ball valve for return. Again, near sump.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine near the sump in the basement. Once you get it dialed in, it’s pretty static. You will have to tune from time to time but I’ve gotten good at knowing how to adjust the flow based on how much is coming out of my e drain.
There are times where based on the flow you will hear noise near the gate valve. I wanted it to be dead silent in the room with the DT so having it in the basement accomplished that.
Straight union for the e drain and union ball valve for return. Again, near sump.
Heard on the gate valve. You’re not worried if you have an oh poop moment that you’ll have to run downstairs to shut things down?

I’m running two return pumps (only one running at a time) off a Wye manifold. It will go: pump to union ball valve to check valve to manifold. They combine to a flow meter after the Wye then head up. This will allow me to keep things running if a check valve needs replacement or cleaning. Sound right? I’m having a hard time placing the union ball valves on the returns. Single after the returns combine?

Yes…I know it’s not ideal but I can only cut so many 2” holes in my home and granite.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. First off I have 2 drains and 2 e drains. So plenty of redundancy. Have yet to have anything resembling an oh poop moment because once you get it dialed in it pretty much stays that way. I turn all the equipment off in the sump to do WC and maintenance but then turn it all back on without touching the gate valves. There might be some tweaking but nothing where I’m going to turn the drains off completely. That would take quite the effort with gate valves. You’d be cranking those things for days. :)

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. First off I have 2 drains and 2 e drains. So plenty of redundancy. Have yet to have anything resembling an oh poop moment because once you get it dialed in it pretty much stays that way. I turn all the equipment off in the sump to do WC and maintenance but then turn it all back on without touching the gate valves. There might be some tweaking but nothing where I’m going to turn the drains off completely. That would take quite the effort with gate valves. You’d be cranking those things for days. :)
Never skip supination/pronation day.

Ok. Thanks for the response. Makes me feel better. It’s day 5 of having hundreds of g’s of unattended water in my basement and I want to make sure I plumb it upstairs right

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back